6500 vs 7000?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by BenNewt, Sep 21, 2009.

1. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I'm thinking of purchasing a new rod and reel combo for next year. I've been using my 6500 C3 for 15 years or so, put it through hell, sand, mud, and shad slime, and the thing still works like new. Alot of catters seem to go with a 7000 over the 6500. I know with the old heavy dacron lines, line capacity used to be an issue, but no more with the superlines. I use 65lb PP for flats and it handles just fine. Any thoughts on why I should look at a 7000 over a new 6500? Thanks!

2. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hello Ben and welcome to the BOC. I use both the 6500c3's and the 7000ics PR's and love them both. You say you use PP and that's great, but if you ever decide to go with mono the 7000's will give you greater line and weight capacity. Both are great reels and it comes down to preference for fishing conditions. You can't go wrong with either. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

3. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    6500's really aren't made for that heavy of like. If you have one that old you can put new drag washers in it and make it more substantial if you haven't already. 7000's you can run 40# mono and there are times for that. The stock drag is somewhat better and the clicker is a lot stiffer. The clicker alone is why a lot of people choose them, I think.. Don't go less than 80# spectra and you can thank me later. When you get in a snag and there's no choice but to heave, you want the right stuff. It'll pay off. J

4. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hey great points Josh--thats some cool info on replacing the washers on the 6500, I haven't done that but I probably should. I guess all I can say is that with 65 lb test or 80 or more, neither the 7000 nor the 6500 are intended for lines that heavy--so we would be overdoing it in both cases. I'm guessing that neither of us set our drags for the true breaking strength of 65 or 80 lb line, but rather we use the heavy line for abrasion resistance. Also, the "stiffness" of the clicker on the 6500 is adusted along with the spool resistance, so I think the 7000 isn't "stiffer", just probably louder.

I will admit that the 7000 looks like an overall sturdier reel, which it probably is---but it also weighs roughly twice what the 6500 does. But that can be a good thing, as cat rods tend to be top heavy, and thus the heavier reel might actually make for an overall more balanced rig. As you can see, I'm still pretty conflicted.......

5. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

The drag force for the ABU's

6500C3 and C4 has ............ = 15lbs........of .....Maximum Drag Force
    7000i ...... has 9kg x 2.2 = 19.8 lbs...of.....Maximum Drag Force
    7000iC3 ..........11kg x 2.2 = 24.2 lbs.of.....Maximum Drag Force
    9000i...............11kg x 2.2 = 24.2 lbs.of.....Maximum Drag Force
    10000i.............11kg x 2.2 = 24.2 lbs.of.....Maximum Drag Force

Line capacity is one factor, 65 power pro, is not to much for a 6500
    Yes the line is more than the drag force. Braided line is "limper" and has less memory than monofilament. This makes braid easier to cast and more resistant to backlashing. The point to using 65lb is more abrasion resistant. I use 40lb Power Pro on my 6500s and I am happy with it.

There is a big debate over mono & braided line and I could go on & on :eek:oooh: :crazy:

:smile2::smile2:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2009
  6. c5killer

c5killer New Member

State:
    West KY
    To me the weight of the reel is the difference. If you use a rod holder then it shouldn't matter. I hold a lot of my reels do to the structural hang ups where I fish, so to me weight is a big factor. I don't like anything bigger than a 6000 series. I use 65# or 80# PP, but I don't do much casting with mine.

7. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    Although heavy spectra seems like overkill, there's a reason to use it. It's dependable. The lighter stuff just isn't as predictable in my experience. With 80#, I get my rigs back and my 40# leaders break. With 50, or whatever I just put on and it's at least 50, I don't get anything back and it breaks off with an unpredictable pop. I think it's just as much knot retention as anything. The lighter stuff casts farther but that's not a huge advantage.

The knurled nut really has limitations. I leave mine loose all the time. There are better ways to tune a reel to cast for you and the thing isn't meant to be adjusted all the time or provide that much resistance. The 7000 clicker is a lot stiffer and a lot louder. You're also really limited with mono on a 6500. I have several of each. 6500's cast farther.

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have many 6500 series reels, I also had several 7000 reels, I could not cast a 7000 as far as my 6500...the new 6500 comes with the updated carbon matrix drag.

I have landed many big flatheads in river current with a 6500.

May I suggest a 6500cl big game, it is the smoothest and and best casting reel I have ever used.

9. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Both reels are great... I have a bunch of both the 6500 and 7000 in various configurations..
    I use both sizes, but, find myself grabbing the 7000's more often.. The clickers do seem louder on the 7xxx's.
    As far as drag,, the 7xxx have a bit more capability, but, I find myself using my thumb more than trying to try and adjust drag while bring in an obstinate Flatcat.

I have a lever drag unit, but, as of yet, I haven't spooled it up and taken it fishing...

The clickers on both reels are an independent function,, apart from the spool tension,,
    the clicker is either on or off.. no adjustment.. the spool tension knobs do just that, and that only.

I use mono exclusively, and spooling up the 7000's doesn't limit me on the yardage I like to have,, If braid is used,, it's probably a non-issue.. with either reel. As you can get quite a bit of the braid on them..I've never had any luck with abrasion resistance using braid, so, I stick with the mono for the waters I fish..

Either reel will do a fine job, and last a long time, with a bit of the usual maintenance.
    IMO..
    Greg

10. SW Hunter

SW Hunter New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have both and I use 65# braid on my 6500 and it has no problems handling it I would agree you should upgrade to the carbon martix drag it makes a lot of difference. I have upgraded all my reels that dont have them. I know that the new 6500C3 comes with them and the 7000 also has them. You can find the kits on ebay. Its hard to go to something different if you've had good luck with the 6500, I would stay with it. Good Luck.

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Imagine this, a 6500 is a V6 while a 7000 is a Hemi!

7000 have more power.