6500 performance for less price

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by ramon06, Dec 13, 2009.

1. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    If you like 6500C3 performance but do not like the price tag try out the Ming Yang reels (40 series). My friend has one on his boat and the performance is equal minus the fact that they are cold as hell during cold water because they dont have plastic. My friend has 16 rod/reel combos on his boat 12 6500s, a ming yang, and 3 shakesperes. We both love using the ming yang and fight to cast/reel it in. I have to be honest that ming yang is its equal for only $39.99. Star drag, 5:2:1 ratio, 180 yds of 16LB test, nice size handle and you choose colors between, blue, black, gun smoke, champaigne, gold or silver. they have quite a few models and I dont think any are over $49.99 on the web page. ordering a couple tonight. Its worth a try for $30 price tag. Just wanted to share a good find with my BOC brothers that cant pay $90-$140 for a reel, when you can get 3 or 4 for the same price :wink:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  2. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I've got one also and can attest that they are good reels. For catfish I use two Cableas Salt Striker Baitfeeder 65's, 2 Abu Garcia 6500's, and a Ming Yang CL60. The Ming will fight any fish the Abu will...

I am planning to put a 70 series Ming on a 12' or 13' heaver for the surf.

3. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    Yeah I found out the CL60 was the one I used im gonna be purchasing one real soon, like this week maybe lol to put on my glowstick so I can put my 7000 on a more stout rod

4. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    I can say that clicker is not worth a crap but as Ramon has said we have had some good fish on that one reel (I think 54 lbs is the biggest so far) and I love it. The drag is nice an strong and it comes with power handle already installed. It will hold more line than the 6500 will so that is a big plus. In my opinion that CL40 is almost the size of the 7000 series but a heck of alot less in price.
    I have tons of money invested in reels between the 6500's and the Penn 320GT2's but love the performance of this Ming Yang. Unless you are just against spending less money on a reel that is just as good if not better this Ming Yang CL40 is the way to go.

5. bluecat69

bluecat69 New Member

State:
    Tupelo, MS
    I was mistaken on the model, like Ramon said it was a CL60. Not sure why I was thinking it was a 40. Anyway great reels for the price.

6. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    thanks for sharing goin to check them out

7. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    You won't be dissapointed! I gurantee that!

8. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    the clicker is the only negative thing iv heard on these reels every one seems to love them think im gona give a couple of them a try

9. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The clicker could be stronger, and can be with with upgrades. My fix to the clicker is to horse down on the mechanical brakes when in freespool. It has seemed to work a lot better (just have to remember to back off before your next cast)!

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  10. Soonerfan

Soonerfan Member

State:
    Guthrie Ok
    I read this post and looked them up on ebay and seen a auction ending...So I placed a bid and won. I won a CL 60 for $35 total shipped to my door. I hope I like it. Im going to put it on a ugly stick tiger.:big_smile:

11. Soonerfan

Soonerfan Member

State:
    Guthrie Ok
    Well i got my ming reel in and it looks and feels good. The clicker isn't very loud ...but if thats the only thing wrong with it i will be happy with it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  12. ramon06

State:
    Alabama
    you will not be dissappointed this is a great reel at an unbeatable price

13. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I read this thread and was skeptical.
    I run a guide service and NEED good equipment. My Abu's are good reels I just can not afford to drop $100 give or take when one breaks down, and ALL reels break down eventually, but some are fixable.
    I got my Ming Yang CL60A in the mail a week or so ago. I can already tell that it was worth the $45 to get it. I will give a full review in a couple weeks. I will put in 300hrs+ of fishing on these before I can give a true thumbs up on them. But right out of the box they will cast with the 6500's. They have just a little bit more play in the anti-reverse but not much. The power handle and the 4.2 to 1 ratio is very preferable over the 5.3 and dual paddle handle of the 6500. The 4.2 is a good compromise between the gear ratio of my Penn 209's and the Abu's with either 6.something or 5.3.
    I called the guy that supplies the US with MY reels, he sent some extra worm gears and pawls, plus drag disks and other perishable items inside the reel with my order. That was my one hold up, if I have a break down while fishing (usually worm gear or pawl due to gloves getting caught in level-wind) I wanted to be able to get that rod back in the water ASAP. There is a huge difference between being able to fish 14 rods and have a back up vs. not having that backup.
    ANYWAYS, I will post my full review on these reels in a few weeks, initial impressions were positive on this bargain reel.

14. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    PS.
    The clicker is terrible, but it looks like a fella could make some adjustments and really improve it. I will tear down one of my reels and attempt to fix this.

15. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Just a quick note I have a reel I got off of e-bay as well for $39 shipped to my door. I hate to admit it but I LOVE it as much as my $120 Abu's It's a PENN RODDY 175 5:5:1 3 ball bearings holds 150 yds of 15# of course I have about 150 yd's of Power Pro 65# on mine :wink: and I have drug some meatheads in on this thing without ever a worry also cast as good as the 6500's and the "clicker" flat out screams I like the sound of it's clicker actually better than my Abu's. I was skeptical when I received it because to be HONEST it in ways looks like a $35 reel, but upon catching alot of nice cats on it I SWEAR aside from looks I LOVE it as much as any of my Abu's. Will post pic of it later.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  16. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Gotta be honest, they look real flashy. I may have to try one. I'm skeptical though, I need a good review.

17. KY_465

KY_465 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks Ramon! I intend to check them out also!