6500 first baitcaster??

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by 4bratsdad, Sep 23, 2009.

1. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    illinois springfield area
    im wanting to get onto this baitcaster thing, im 42, its time i learn, been scared of the unknown, there are so many versions of these abu's with the same number at varied prices, i found a guy sells red 6500 TC it has the power handle for $80 new stocks em, is this a better reel?? sais sweden on them most of the abus i see on ebay seem to go for bout the price if not more than i see them here for new,gotta get started soon, any advice would be great, thanks

2. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Yes, the 6500TC is basically the same as the 6500C3. The differences are the color and the TC comes with a factory power handle. Plus the fish option on the side cover, but that's just bling and serves no purpose. I think they both even have the same amount of bearings.

You can also get them at ................. . com. They were/are $75. Thats a real good price on those. They are a discontinued product, but they originally sold in $105-$120 range.

3. sjohn58

sjohn58 Guest

You can not go wrong with either one, I have 2 - 6500C3 and really
    like both, you do want the power handles, I had to buy the ones of the C3.
    As above the TC come with power handles

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2009
  4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    You can't really go wrong with any 6xxx series reel, unless it's the BCX, They don't seem to be as Heavy Duty per say..and, they're completely different internally from the "usual" ones.
    All of the C3's C4's CS's ,etc ,,,,, are good.
    The older ones may not have the carbon drags, and there are some differences in gear ratios, if that matters to you.
    Any, and all of that can be addressed , if you want to.

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc

LOL, Well Harvey you and I sound a like. I didn't get a bait caster until I was 40 but boy am I glad !!!!

Get the reel !!!...its a good one. I use the C3's and love em. If ya need help with it when you get it, just Pm me.

-Jim-

6. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the club. The 6500's are durable and dependable and I don' think you'll be disappointed, well worth the investment. Snagged 2 is our resident in house expert on Abu's if you should have any problems:big_smile: Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

7. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    Do NOT get anything BCX, but anything else should serve you well. My BCX broke.

Now I have a 6500c3 and love it; it's my first baitcaster if you don't count the other one. I still backlash some, but all you gotta do is tighten the spool tension a bit. You won't cast as far, but it will be more forgiving on you until you learn the mechanics of casting.

Here's a list of some of the nomenclature Abu uses; scroll down to 7th post: http://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/showthread.php?p=4773545

8. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    That should be great reel. From what i've looked at the 6500TC is a Trophy Class, 3 bearing + the roller, and average retail price seems to be about $119. As long as it's a "Made In Sweden" model, you should be fine. I don't like something about the new BCX models. Not sure what it is, maybe the "Made In China" but I think they have a cheaper look to them. Line capacity on the 6500 would be good with mono up to about 30# and better with braid. i don't think you would be going wrong to get one. I have an older 6601CB (pretty much the same thing in lefthand) and mine works great, as do all my ABU reels. Paired with a MH good rod, the 6500TC should be a great cat setup. IMO

9. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    You won't be diappointed with any of the 6500 or 7000 reels from abu. Like you I got started late using baitcasters and like them alot. I also found the abu's to be user friendly when first learning to use them. Like the other post said stay away from the bcx.

10. Dutch

Dutch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Ha, I'm 47 and just got my first bait caster. I got a BCX6600 and it broke after 3 outings so I took it back and got a 6500C3 and have been reel happy with it. When I started using it I set the spool tight and as I learned to cast it I would loosen a little at a time and now I can cast it like a pro.

11. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    You can't go wrong with that reel. I've got several 6500 c3's and they have been flawless. I wouldn't buy any other bait caster..... except for maybe a 7000......:big_smile:

12. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    thanks guys, made a lil extra cash, so im headin there in mornin, i looked at a 7000 that gander mtn just got in this week& its made in china, think im gonna try get 2 those 6500tc reels if thats such good deal and their discontinued, should i stay away from all the china stuff as well as the bcx?? that 7000 seemed pretty smooth but it was also $125.00

13. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    All the 7000's are made in China. I can't say for years ago but recent years they have been. I've never had a BCX but something about them turns me off. I could be proved wrong and would like to think I will be because I don't see the manufacture origin changing anywhere in the near future. China will soon own the world.

14. SW Hunter

SW Hunter New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I never owned a BCX but some friends of mine have and said they dont like them as well as the Sweden made reels. I was told they have some plastic parts that the sweden one dont. I hope this helps.

15. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    i bought both of his 6500s, he said he couldnt get em at that price anymore, hope to get line on em soon, i was shown 2 of those bcx reels that had broken line guides which are plastic, unlike the other sweden reels, thanks for the heads up guys, i did come close to buyin one.

16. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    You made the right move. You will get to enjoy your new reels for year and years. You will probably retire before those reels have a problem.:big_smile: