6500 C4's

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by TexasCatfish, Mar 23, 2006.

1. TexasCatfish

TexasCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have heard a lot of bad talk about these reels. Some say that because of the gear ratios they're not suited for catching big fish. Has anyone ever had problems with this, and do you think and/or if they can hold their own against the big boys?

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I have one now and though I haven't caught any real big fish on it yet, I have no doubts that it's gonna do the job. I'll say this for it. I've been a spinning reel user most of my life and just recently starting using baitcasters. I have a Penn 310, a Ambassadeur 6000 and the new 6500. It's the smoothest casting and retrieving one of the bunch. Very nice and well built reels in my opinion. That said, there is no comparison between it and my Penn reel. That Penn is made for catching big fish and don't let anyone fool you, it will cast too. Both good reels, but the Penn is the stronger built of the two. Just my opinion.

3. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    The 6500 is a fine reel and will haul in the big boys. How ever since the 7000 came out I consider the 6500 obsolete.

4. BlueZeus

BlueZeus New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fairly new to using a baitcaster but based on what I've researched the 6500 series reels are excellent. I recently purchased a 6500c3 and it has been added to my 8' Ugly Cat rod MH. I Love this combo. Anyway I seemed to have gone of the beaten path. I enjoy the Abu Garcia 6500 series. I would think that a 6500C3 or C4 will handle any freshwater fish you should encounter. :)

5. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    I've been debating between the C3 and the C4 for a while. The C4 is smoother, for sure, but I have heard the same things about not being very good for big fish. I seriously doubt this, but it's tough to say without actually catching one on it. I have a feeling that it would have no problems, and being that it's only $5 more than the C3, I am very tempted, but it will be interesting to see if anyone with experience will speak up. I find that a lot of people will offer their opinion without having tried what they are talking about. I hope a few members have actually used the C4 and will speak up!

6. TexasCatfish

TexasCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have two of them, have caught a couple moderate sized fish on them, but nothing over 20 pounds. I've heard rumors that people strip the gears and such in them on larger fish, just wanted to see if anyone has actually experienced this. Also, want to see if anyone has had any experience pulling in something large. I caught a 30 pound flathead on a crappie rod/reel combo before, so I really don't think that an extremely powerful reel is needed anyways if you know what you're doing.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I doubt anyone has stripped the gears with a 30lb fish... if they have, it is probably more something they were doing than it was a fault in the reel. Even if you get a lemon reel, Abu has a factory you can send it to and they will go over it and replace everything thats worn. Seems like they have a $20.00 charge for that. Of course you have your purists who wants nothing reconditioned...so, I'll take them... you want to get rid of your old Abu's let me know....heck I'll probably even pay shipping.

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    good point, if you know how to fight a fish WITH THE ROD you shouldnt have any problems. renmember, a reel is only for storing your line not "winching" in a fish. i have caught several 20lb+ fish with my 5600c4 with the biggest being 31lb. the thing i like most about the c4 reels is the lightning speed retreive.

9. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The 6500C4 is an excellent reel. It will give you many years of service if you keep it maintained, however the 6.3:1 gears in the reel are not the sturdiest and are not made for retrieving large fish. They are mainly used by bass fisherman who need a faster retieve for certain plugs or buzz baits. The teeth on the 6.3:1 gears are smaller and can be stripped off by a large fish that you are winching. The best gears to use in the 6500 and 6000 series reels for large fish are actually the 3.8:1 or 4.7:1 gears, but it is a costly swap. Around $25.00. I have a lot of the ambassadeur reels and I use the 5.3:1 gears which are the best all around. I usually shop around on ebay or a buy from a parts place in Texas. You can also purchase stainless steel gears. It only takes about 3 minutes to do the swap and the stainless steel gears are a lot more sturdy.

10. TexasCatfish

TexasCatfish New Member

State:
    Texas
    So you could convert the gears to 5:3:1?

11. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    The only time I've seen a problem with any of the Ambassadeur Reels it was caused by the operator. My wife frequently catches fish in the 20 to 30 pound range (largest; 34 pound blue) using a 5000C. I use a 6500 or 7000 and catch 5 pounders. Is there something wrong with this picture? I have two 5000s that are nearly 40 years old and still work fine, price at that time was $39.95 each. If you want longevity in a reel stick with Ambassadeur or Penn.