6500 C4 help needed

Discussion in 'Reel Repair and Upgrades' started by leo24551, Dec 30, 2008.

1. leo24551

leo24551 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hello, my name is Leonard and I'm new to the forum. I need help with a 6500 C4 Ambassadeur, the pinion shaft cover that houses the one way bearing (anti-reverse) has come loose from the right side cover. What means should or could be used to re-secure it?
    Thanks.

2. bigbigjoe76

bigbigjoe76 New Member

State:
    Gilbert, South Carolina
    probably your best bet would be to replace the side cover. the side covers from a 4500 to a 6500 will work. i got a couple extra covers from ebay for next to nothing.

Joe

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Leonard Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.:0a18::0a25::0a25:

4. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Welcome Leonard! Iwould either go with what joe said or if you cant find the right color send it back to be repaired or go to a service center.

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Leo,
    You can contact the ABU GArcia service @ www.abugarcia.com/service.php

or ph#1-800-228-4272

You'll need the Foot # on the bottom of your reel.

Sounds like you need a new sideplate. I don't know if the bearing carrier is replaceable.

If you have any problems, let me know..
    Greg

6. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Welcome to the BOC Leonard. I have a 6600 C4 but haven't had any problems with the side plate. I would call the service center.:smile2:

7. leo24551

leo24551 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks guys for the warm welcome and the advice, I'm contacting Garcia as we speak.

8. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Leo,,
    They've been real good for me, Let us know how things go!!

9. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Hio, Leonard....I suspect you are referring to the chromed boss that houses the one way bearing, which has now come loose, or fully free, from the sideplate.
    There is no way to re-secure without special tooling.

Abu *may* replace the sideplate as a goodwill gesture, but in reality, it's not a maker defect. It's an operator thing.

Without malice and with respect: whomever is setting hooks is over-setting, causing much stress on the join between the boss and the plate.
    Strong hooksets will loosen and eventually fully rip off the boss.

I have a "bearing basher" here, that affixes the boss in such a manner, it never ever comes away again. Trouble being, with stamps in both directions, it's not cost-efficient to send away, given the pricing from the factory and the aftermarket site.

Eeb, eh? has all kinds of side plates complete wtih a one way bearing, for about 1/3 price of new. New is about 28.00 US funds. Plus taxes and stamps. Unless eeb has a C4 available, you will need to be happy with a different colour plate... OR: buy a different pair, and possibly lose the clicker on the non-crank side. Unless you buy a set of 6500 plates.

As soon as I can figure out how to do digi-pics, I will attempt to photo the tool, so whomever wants to clone one can go ahead.

Good hunting........KD

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi Ken,
    You mentioned an aftermarket site,,, I've been using the abu garcia site, and they do pretty well, for me.. but, if there's another place to get parts, I'm sure it would be helpful..if you know of one.
    Thx, Greg

11. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Hio, Snagged.... The aftermarket site I mentioned was a tie-back to eeb, eh? Canadians are stereotypically branded as saying "eh" _all_ the time,
    So Ebay translates into eeb,eh?

Craig's List, Kiijii, and others somestime have Abus listed as well. Best, KD

12. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    LOL,,, I'm not real smart,,,, but,,,, I am slow...:smile2:

Thx,

13. Bravesnflat25

Bravesnflat25 New Member

State:
    Anderson
    Are you talking about the cog on the spool or the the wheel looking thing on the clicker side. Tell me more. I can probally send you the part and you can fix it within 10 minutes. It is nothing that is not fix able. Do you got some pics of the problem. I know alot about how to fix abu's.

14. Ken D

Ken D New Member

State:
    B.C. (CAD)
    Hio, BrF...I don't think you can fix this one....his problem, is a loose bearing boss...
    (as stated in his original post)
    that chromed bit holding the instant anti-reverse bearing..... as per the right hand image in the right hand side plate.
    Once these things come loose, it's either special tooling to re-affix, or a new side plate.