6500 C3 reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by huls1, May 14, 2008.

1. huls1

huls1 New Member

State:
    alabama
    how does everyone feel about the 6500 C3 reels for handling big blues and flats, i have used the 5500's for a long time for bass and stripe fishing and think the 6500's will be good, what do you think

2. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

State:
    Louisiana
    It's the workhorse of fishing reels. Dollar for dollar I don't think you can beat the 6000 or 6500 series for all around catfishing. Very usable, durable, and fixable when they break. Parts are available fairly cheap. Of course I own and use them and have for years, so my opinion might be slanted. You'll probably hear the same about many other brands in replies to your question. See what you see the most of out there. Good luck and good fishing.

Sam

3. Hoosier_Catman

Hoosier_Catman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have two 6500 C3's and two 7000 C3's. Love em' both. I think that the 6500's will do just fine for big blues and flatty's. The biggest catfish I ever caught on one of my 6500 C3/ Ugly Stik setups weighed about 15 lbs. and, of course, it was nothin for a 6500 to bring in a fish that size. But all my bigger catches all the way up to my PB 43lber were caught using the 7000 C3's. I guess it depends on how big the catfish are that you're after. Though I'd trust a 6500 to reel in almost any size catfish, if you're gonna be catchin 50-60+lb. fish then I would say fork out the extra money for a 7000 C3, because it will be easier to wind a fish in of that size and all in all just alot more fun too. But, if your talkin smaller fish around 20-30 lbs max then a 6500 C3 will be a great choice and a thrill to use. (but I prefer my 7000's for big river fishin) Good Luck To Ya! Hope that helps ya out a little bit.

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    HI Terry! The 6500c3 Abu should handle about any size cat your after. As long you have a good study rod with good backbone, and great dependable line, the work is up to you. Do you fish open water or tight cover? As long the drag is set appropriately the reel should bring them in. Tight lines my BOC brother!!:big_smile::big_smile::0a26::0a18:

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I think the 6500C3 will handle Big Blues and Flats.

6. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    You can't go wrong with 6500. :cool2:

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I own 3 of them and never had a problem at all. I'd trust them any day, anytime with Trophy Flats and Blues. One I've had is 8+ years old and good as it was when I bought it. Just make sure to clean, grease and oil them on a regular basis and maybe an occasional Pawl replacement. Only had to do that to one Abu but it was a 6000.
    I promise you won't be sorry especially for the price, their well worth every single penny!!!!!:wink::big_smile:

8. huls1

huls1 New Member

State:
    alabama
    Thanks for the info, it helps me a lot:big_smile:

9. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    That is what I have always used and I truly believe in them. Haven't let me down yet.

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    You won't regret using about any of the abu's from the 6000 on up.