6500 c3 or c4??

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by SilverCross, Feb 22, 2006.

1. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Just wondering which is best and why they have stopped making the c4 models?

2. stickthrower

stickthrower New Member

State:
    Possum Kingdom Lk, TX
    I don't think you could go wrong with either one. Was not aware they quit making the C4? See them in catalogs, etc.:confused:

3. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I think the only difference between the two is the color and the gear ratio.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i know the c4's have a much faster retrieve and an extra bearing. ive heard of folks stripping the gears out (faster retrieve=finer teeth on gears) on big fish but i have a 5600c4 that has caught 30+lb flats and ive never had an issue with it. if so it might be inexperienced fishermen "winching" in fish instead of using the rod to fight the fish.

5. IamMike

IamMike New Member

State:
    Ohio (near cincy)
    I use both. I don't think I'd ever strip out the retrieve gears fighting a fish as I fight fish with the rod. The drags are the same on each and they hold the same amount of line. The C4s cast a little better, have an extra bearing, are a little smoother, and have a faster retrieve. The only advantages of the retrieve would be if you were using lures (not going to happen) or if you just wanted to get your line in quicker. I guess when you're lowering you rod and reeling in line before you torque that monster with your rod again, you'd have a little advantage but I've never noticed it. Both are awesome reels, but I like my C4s a little better than my C3s.

6. IamMike

IamMike New Member

State:
    Ohio (near cincy)
    I didn't hear anything about them not making C4s any more. That would be a bummer and drive up the prices on used units.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    They still make a c4 but it's now the 6600 model, practically the same reel..Both are good, I prefer the c3 for the lower gear ration.

8. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Thanks Flat, didn't understand what exactly had happened, just knew there wasn't going to be one called the 6500d4. Glad they are still making it by a different number now.

9. Ryan

Ryan New Member

State:
    Crystal, Minnesota
    For 2006, the 6500C3 (silver) is a 5.3:1 ratio with a push-button free-spool release and 3 bearings. The 6600C4 (blue) is a 6.2:1 ratio and has 4 bearings and the thumb-bar release instead of the push button. I'm hoping to get one of them for a gift soon:)

10. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I want to pick up one of those.