$65,000 goes up in smoke!

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by blackwaterkatz, Jan 11, 2009.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    My neighbor was passing by yesterday in his backhoe, when he suddenly stopped and started backing into my yard, but the machine shut down and he got off and came walking toward me. I saw a little smoke coming from under the hood, got a fire extinguisher from the shop, but when he opened the hood, the flames took off big time, no hope. I called 911 and the fire fighters were here in just a few minutes, but it couldn't be saved. He is hoping he has insurance on it. It was in like new condition with only a couple of hundred hours on it. Man, what a loss. He said it smelled like trash burning when it started, maybe a rat's nest or something on the manifold. The firefighters also said a fuel line had ruptured...

Attached Files:

2. Gaffney Catman

Gaffney Catman New Member

State:
    south carolina
    That us bad luck there:crazy:

3. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Glad it didn't go up in flames like that with him sitting on it.:crazy:

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    That's bad! Hope it's covered.

I had a problem with pack rats building nest under the hood of our tractor. I always check it before starting.

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Its a good thing he got off of it when he did.

6. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That's awful! I too hope he was covered.

BB in SC

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    That is bad on two fronts. Loss of equipment and a shut down of his business. I too hope his coverage is good.

8. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    That right there hurts. :embarassed:

9. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    That's a shame....Hope it all turns out alright. :sad2:

10. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    thats a dream machine too! 4x4 enclosed cab and a grapple bucket on the rear!!:angry: that sucks!!

11. nanny patrol

nanny patrol Member

State:
    SC
    Man thats bad news! At least nobody got hurt.

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    OUCH!!! :eek:oooh::crazy:

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Man that really hurts in more ways than one.As stated least no one was hurt.that ain't no cheap piece of equipment there.like everyone said hope he has Ins.

14. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    He had been to a piece of property that was being vandalized by trespassers; they ignored his signs, so he had dug a trench across the entrance and was returning home. When he realized there was a fire, he tried to get to my shop and the water hose on the outside of it, but the tractor cut off before he could reach it. Kinda glad, in a way, because the flames may have set my shop on fire. It only took the fire fighters a couple of minutes to get the fire under control. The backhoe is still in my yard until he can get someone with the proper equipment to move it, maybe tomorrow.

15. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    that is a bad deal, glad no one was hurt

16. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    A burned up tractor! :crazy: Brought a tear to my eye.:eek:oooh: Sad!!

17. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Wow!! that really sucks, I hope he had insurance!

18. garrick

garrick New Member

State:
    SC
    Bad news!
    At least he's safe.
    If it makes the owner feel any better, I've got a similar story.
    I was into restoring old air-cooled VWs when I was stationed in Colorado.
    I had bought a '68 squareback and was procrastinating with getting to work on it. Well, one day I was shopping in the commisary, and over the loudspeaker they said, "Will the owner of a black hatchback, license plate xxxx please come to the parking lot IMMEDIATELY?"
    I thought, "Shoot. I parked in some general's reserved spot or something."
    Well, I went outside and there was a flightline firetruck by my car and there was foam pouring out of the windows!
    Apparently, the gas line was leaky where it diverted above the crankcase and it started a small fire, which lit up some distributor wires.
    The engine in a squareback is under the storage area in the back of the car, so it started smoldering carpet, etc. and I guess looked like a really alarming fire.
    So. . .the fire personnel just popped open the back and filled that dog up with plane crash foam.
    I had a rebuild kit for the engine anyway, and the carpet was going to be replaced done day (never did around to the carpet part, though), so I wasn't too sad. It took forever to clean the foam residue off the inside of the windshield, etc.

19. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    He dropped by today and told me that he did have insurance on the equipment, so maybe he will recover most of his loss.

20. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Great he had insurance.

Where I worked I saw a track backhoe go up in flames. The operator was digging over a live underground 8 inch propane liquid line. According to underground blueprints the line was a foot deeper than he was digging. But when the line was laid someone had installed a 3/4 inch vent valve, he hit it and broke off the valve. He was very lucky, he jumped off the machine and wasn't hurt. Quite a fire, the line was carrying 300 PSI.