$64 Question. To Move or Not To Move?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Pip, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    If your fishing and your catching fish, nothing big mind ya,eaters or a little bigger, but your catching. Will you move in search of finding that big bubba you would love to hook up with or do you stay put and play the odds? Thinking sooner or later that big one will wanna dance.

At best it can be a gut feeling one way or the other. You go with the saying, " don't leave fish to find fish". I'm not really sure one decision is better then the other. You just never know whatthat next cast will bring in.

Personally I don't leave fish to find fish.... most of the time, but i've done it though.

2. mikemck

mikemck New Member

State:
    Texas
    The bite has been so slow for me lately, that I can't imagine moving to try to find bigger fish, but I guess if I regularly caught fish, I would surely consider moving to find something bigger.

I really only fish for nice eating size Catfish, but of course, I would love to hook up with a monster, at least every once in awhile.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Mike I would not move until I tried different size baits to see if the larger fish would take. If I was fun fishing I would go with numbers. If tournament fishing I might go and try to get a larger one to top my catch off.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    For me catching cats is what its all about so as long as im catching them im gonna be stayin put.

5. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    if im catching fish ill stay till the bite is over

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    If I know the spot has produced larger fish, I stay put. If the cats start getting bigger I stay. If there a bunch of 12"-15" or so, and not getting any larger, I may move. I may cast in deeper water.

7. larry again

larry again Active Member

State:
    missouri
    In one word YES !!!!! BIG cats will eat little kittys .

8. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Every 40lb+ fish that I've caught,with one exception, I sat on the spot for about an hour and a half. Sometimes getting small bites but usually nothing. I have gotten the "big bite" in less time.

9. Kevin Allen

Kevin Allen New Member

State:
    Alabama
    if they a bitin' good, and most of'em are on a smaller size, i just change hooks and get bigger bait, one sure cure for getting larger fish is to use bait too big for the smaller fish to eat first.

Kevin

10. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    it depends upon how the bites are and what size of fish i`m catching, if i start catching small blues i`ll move , if channel cats move in on the area i`m fishing `ill move. both times i may not move very far , maybe fifty yards or so , most of the time i find that if you find dinks, you`re not to far away from bigger fish. now if gar move into my area i`ll make a big move to another spot. on an average 30 to 45 minutes is as long as i`m going to set up waiting on fish, i`m hunting the fish, differnt from deer hunting where sitting in a stand for hours, i`ll hunt the fish until i find them. then when they are located i`ll fish one spot until the bite quits

11. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If Im catching, Im staying.. I have a few places where I know there are some 30# 40# flatties but most of the time I stay in the 15# range but there is always that chance of a HAWG swimming thru and hookin up with ya.. On a boat you can be a little more mobile but as a bankfisherman, I wouldnt leave fish to find fish..

12. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I've had a couple of guys, including my father, pull the old, "Let's move" trick on me when we were already on fish, and I didn't like it one bit.

13. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    It depends on what I am after. In the fall and winter I am after the big blues. If I get on the small fish I will move, sometimes not very far, sometimes to the other end of the lake. It just depends on what I think the big blues are doing at the time. I have fished holes that held small fish and stayed and caught small ones all day, and gone back after moving off of small fish, just to find the big ones have pushed them out and are there biting. I get the attitude during winter, big ones only. Now in the spring and summer it is just the opposite, if I am on fish I am not leaving until the bite goes away.

14. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    If I'm fishing for big flatheads I'm not going to catch any little ones on 8 inch bullheads or 1 lb bluegill so I'm staying where I am.It may take days but they will bite.

15. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    I wont move off skillet size fish. However if youre trophy hunting and catching skillet sized fish you may want to look for another spot.

16. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I fish from the bank and once I get set up I don't like to move.
    If I was in a boat I might move around a little bit to find a big one.

17. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    In my situation I hunt for big fish only because there are advisories on the lake. My experience has taught me that if there are smaller fish around I wont see any large fish, not always but most of the time that holds true.

So my vote is to move if I see smaller cats in my spot. Now I've been know to not find big fish at the end of a trip and settle for smaller ones before I head to the house , I gotta have some fun ; )

-Jim-

18. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I agree Jim. It is as though the smaller ones pick off the bait before the larger ones get a chanch to bite it. I experience the same thing:wink:

19. Vito the Catman

Vito the Catman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If I am catching small flats or blues, I will try different baits and different depths. If I do not start catching bigger fish I move. I am after the Big Boys, I have had good success fishing like this. If I am bank fishing I will not get completely set up until I have caught a big fish 30lbs up, its no fun moving all that stuff. Why stay and catch small fish, I know of a lot of places to catch small ones all day long. I am after the big ones!