61-pound catfish tops 7th annual Okie Noodling Tournament

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by fishinpals, Jul 30, 2006.

1. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I love my fingers too much to try that. An ol man named stubby tried to talk me into doing it once, hehehe.

2. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    ill be honest with yea, i REALLY want to try noodling. looks like buckets of fun!

3. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Not to me, besides catfish there are snakes, turtles, snakes, gators, snakes and other things that can cause me pain, did I mention snakes.

4. Nightprowler

Nightprowler New Member

State:
    ohio
    That is insane.Definately not for me.

5. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma
    I'm with Sam
    Me, snakes and turtles don't get along very well.

I think it would be fun to pull a big one out, but I don't think I would try it?

Here's a couple pictures I've found of fish that's been noodled.
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/09/photogalleries/noodling/index.html

Ken

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Their NUTS JUST NUTS

7. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Sam, don't forget about the snakes! LOL

8. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Don't forget the beavers as a creature that might be hanging out in a hole you reach into.

9. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Now I looked at them pictures above that "Love Them Cats" posted, if you cull that dude in the first pic, noodle'n with them folks in the other two pics might be OK.

10. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have noodled sucessfully 2 times, catching a 4# channel, and a 10# flathead, both released. It was one of the funnest things I have ever done. Its definitely not something everyone would enjoy, and there is a risk involved but again, I had more fun doing it than I ever thought I would.

11. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    It really is fun. It's not for everyone, but it is pretty fun. It's quite a rush, putting your hand into a hole in the river or under a rock and having a fish nail you. Trust me, the "freaked out" feeling never goes away. You just can't get used to being bit by something that you can't see. I scream like a little girl everytime I'm bit, but I still seem to go a few times a year. I've got buddies that're die-hard noodlers, but I really enjoy catching them on a rod & reel much more than with my hands.

12. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I could never do that. I give the guys who do that all the props in the world.

13. BGRUMBLES

BGRUMBLES New Member

State:
    ohio
    I used to noodle in North Carolina when I lived in the deep mountains. used to catch these river like shad we called Knotty Heads...and we busted a few on rocks nearby and they exploded pretty bad because we were kids who didn't respect nature yet....but when I grabbed a snake that was the last time lol...no joke. I reached down and felt it once...then my stepbrother...who got hit in the head a few too many times as a kid....well he reaches under and starts digging around for it...it was fortunately wedged between rocks and had died....but still...Where we lived poisonous snakes were no rarity. I was 3 miles off the Appalachian trail.

14. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    I sure would like to watch tho!

15. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Im self taught. My uncles, great grand dad, grand dad etc grew up trotlining, noodling, fishing, and basically every other kind of hunting there is.

It took me 3 years to get my first fish. I was a wuss and would only go where I could see with goggles on. I saw a few small cats, and alot of perch/bass/carp but rarely ever saw catfish. The third year I tried, I decided to get alittle braver and started feeling aorund where I coudlnt see. I found a hole not more than 6 inches wide and 3 inches deep. I dug out another inch or 2 so my hand could fit in, and amazingly a 4# channel was in there. I would have never guessed a fish that size could fit into the hole. He nipped my hand at the first oppertunity. I quickly used my other hand to block the entrance I had dug out. After I calmed down I dug the entrance out just enough so that 2 hands could fit in. I grabbed his head/fins, one hand on each side and pulled him out. Got some pics and put him back into his hole. That was last year in July.

This year in July again, the same river, at my church camp, I wanted to try again. Within the first hour of tring I located a hole that was deep enough I couldnt feel the back. I used a 2 foot stick from the bank and felt around and noticed that there was a spot in the hole where it felt slimy. As I would pass over the area I could tell it wasnt like the rest of the rock. When id come back to the spot, there was no longer something there. I could tell there was a fish inside. I found the fish a few more times and could feel his jaw with the stick and it was placid enough to let me lift him up a few inches. I worked him around to the front with the stick and grabbed him. This time it was about a 10# flathead, didnt weigh or measure him, but he was probably 10, im guessing 28-30 inches. Again I CPRed and brought the memories home.

I did see one more flathead that was probably 10-15# under another rock. I tried for about an hour to get him into a position to get him but was unable to.

I also noodled a painted turtle the first or second day.

16. Katphish

Katphish New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Id like to try that it looks like a lot of fun. my buddies done it before he got hand skinned.

17. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Three words, big snapping turtle.

18. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I can handle snakes, rats, and I can even handle an injury every now and then when I grapple....but I cannot see myself sticking my hand in some place underwater like that!