601 Bridde on the Congaree River questions

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by harper81, Apr 11, 2007.

1. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Looking at google earth it appears you can bank fish from either side at this location. First question is that true or is the side opposite of the boat ramp blocked off to the public? And if you can access both sides, which side is the more popular side to bank fish on? (For example the Sumter side of the 378 bridge over the Wateree is the popular side.) Lastly, how is the fishing in this area? I am going exploring for the next 4 days and this is one of the places I want to hit, so would like a touch of info if anyone has any.

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Bill, I've seen people fishing off the north bank, but not the south. I think that side may belong to a hunt club or something, but not sure. There is a large parking area on the ramp side, and sometimes there are a good many people fishing there. It's worth checking out, at least. Wish I could be of more help, but i've never fished there.

3. harper81

harper81 Member

State:
    Summerville, SC
    Thanks for the info. I am probably going to give it a try Saturday night. Hopefully there is not a million people there, but with the warm weather coming back I am sure there will be. Boy do I need a boat.:sad2:

4. IndianCoach

IndianCoach New Member

State:
    S.C.
    It will be tough to find a fishing spot on the weekends there. The dock will be loaded up with people catching 4 inch white perch and very seldom is there not a big campsite on the Wateree side of the bridge. This past weekend there was about 10 people with 4 LARGE tents setup with a bonfire you could see from Orangeburg. I saw them fishing from the bank but They were also setting up limblines up and down the river which is a common occurence down there. Your best bet would be to getdown the river from the ramp. You can walk the bamnks cause the water is down. Go try to find some slack water and build a fire to claim your area. I f you do have access to a boat the Congaree has some excellent camping on a multitude of sandbars and big banks. Bring your bug repellent.

5. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Welcome to the board Dann.

I would ask around the area Bill. If a hunt club has it they usually aren't happy with people being there. Good luck either way.

6. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Welcome Dan.Good to have you on the thug site too.:big_smile:

7. Santee

Santee New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Thanks Chris. I've never done a huge amount of catfishing because I was born a Lake Murray boy and there were too many flat fish to occupy my time. Now I have a house on Marion and I'm 15 minutes from the 601 bridge so I figure one needs to take advantage of the best resource available which in this area is the cats. I'm enjoying huntin' 'em down and I think I've got a plan for tomorrow evening. Hope it pans out. It all looks good on paper.

8. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Hey, pardon my manners. :embarassed:
    Welcome to the BOC, Dann. Didn't notice the new member post thing. Hope you enjoy it here.

9. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I'll be puttin' in at the bridge this afternoon and heading up river to camp all weekend. God luck to ya'll this weekend. It took me threee hours to get bait last night, but I'm ready now, got about 175 bluebacks, threadfins and gizzards. Yum!

10. JACKSON

JACKSON New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Welcome and Good Luck

11. IndianCoach

IndianCoach New Member

State:
    S.C.
    Anybody been over it this week for clarity. I'm deciding between the Congaree and Marion for Friday night. Any help appreciated.

12. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I dont think clarity matters to Mr. Whiskers.They feel right at home in muddy water as a matter of fact they feel a little safer because it blocks out light penetration.This is always been my experience anyway.

13. IndianCoach

IndianCoach New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I agree Chris. The thing about the c-ree is that the fishing is good on stable or falling water as I'm sure most are. The fish there don't seem to bite well on rising water at least by traditional means and holes I'm sure they alter their attack plans with all that new water coming down. If the water is super muddy that usually means it is rising so I like to opt for the lake until it calms down a bit. I have heard of people doing well by fishing feeder creeks during these times but I have never tried it. No reason to waste a day when Santee is only 15 more minutes down the road. I'm open tp ideas of anybody's on fishing the rising waters. I have heard of people going down and fishing Pack's Flats on rising water but I have never done it myself.

14. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Idian coach you should send extremecatfishing a PM or call him at Packs just ask for Jody he will put you on the fish up that way. Him and his brother re very helpful. I havent been up there in a month or so but the last time I was we were catching them up close to the willows. Good luck

15. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    I get where your comin from now Dann.I would probably do the same thing you do and go to the lake instead.

16. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Congaree was pretty clear today; Wateree is a little muddy, still. Water temps on the Santee near Weeks Landing were ~70 - 72 F.:big_smile:

17. wildusaf

wildusaf New Member

State:
    SC
    hey harper, give me a call at work on base and i'll give ya the low down. wanna help me set some limblines off my boat sometime, its a real hoot. i work in the POL, fuels shop on base. you can look me up on af global. TSGt Daniel wild