60 hp yamaha

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by NCCatter, Mar 17, 2009.

1. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I have a 2001 60 hp Yamaha on an 18' G3 CC boat, which normally scoots me along at about 30 mph. Last weekend when I took it out it would only go about half speed. It felt and sounded like it was bogging down. It runs fine on the trailer with the muffs on it, but not in the water. No other problems (starting, peeing, etc.), just getting up to speed in the water. Any suggestions?

2. lissaannjon

lissaannjon New Member

State:
    Dubuque, IA
    NC help narrow it it down a bit. has it sat over the winter at all with fuel in it or was it "fine last weekend and having issues this weekend"?

3. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    No it didn't sit all winter, I ran it faithfully. It just all of a sudden started acting up. Like I said, it ran beautifully 48 hours before.

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I would check all of the fuel lines, you would be suprised what even a leak the size of a pin hole, that you can't even see can do to your performance. Air gets into that fuel line and really screws things up. Mine started doing that before and it took me forever to find a hairline crack in the fuel pump itself. Is that motor direct injected? Follow the lines all the way back to the fuel tank. Have you checked to see if you are losing spark when this happens?

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Another thing, it's very rare that a problem will duplicate itself on the muffs. When mine was acting up it would not do anything wrong on the muffs. Make sure you aren't opening up the throttle to much on the muffs also.

6. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I put a pint of Sea Foam in my tank and let it run through the other day. Then took it to the lake and it ran with no problems, now I just hope it acts right when I get ready to go fishin!