60 HP Johnson 1970

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by mdspoula, Jul 31, 2009.

1. mdspoula

mdspoula New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I bought my Johnson a couple years back and all it came with was a steering arm but nothing to screw the steering shaft to. I have been looking on ebay and even went to Johnson's website to try and find the part that hooks to the motor so I can steer. Unfortunately I haven't seen anything that will work for me. Does anyone have some suggestions of where I can get the part or make something that will work. My last boat I just screwed a bracket to the boat and bolted the steering rod to it. It worked but I didn't like the steering because the whole end of the rod would move up and down.
    Thanks,

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That 1970 should be through shaft steering You may have to change steering cables. I am kinda lost here . i think you are wanting the little bracket that fastens onto the transom and then hooks to the motor. I have one of those and it you just need the steering cable I may have one of those. Is your motor the electric shift or Manuel kind.

3. mdspoula

mdspoula New Member

State:
    Kansas
    My motor is the electric shift kind. Yeah it looks like the shaft has a rod through it already and I can't put a steering cable shaft in it. I could take a picture of it if that would help. I already have a steering cable that hooks to my steering wheel that seems like it will work pretty good.
    Thanks,