60,63+ blues yesterday at Pickwick

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by ShilohRed, Jan 29, 2008.

1. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    These guys took there boat out of the water right after I did yesterday.
    One blue weighed 60 lbs the other 63lb8oz and they lost one at the boat that was bigger then these guys.
    Look on the left of the boat see that jig there? All of them came off a spinning reel light action rod using sauger jigs tipped with a minnow.
    Also I know some will be crying cause they did not turn the back. but they are legal to keep one each.And the warden was there also. And told them how nice the fish were. Also we both asked them if they were going to eat them? And the answer was yes.
    So as long as they clean them and do not just haul them around showing them off I have no problem with it. Now I would turn them back. but that was not my fish.
    Pete
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v693/ShilohRed/bluedamjan28th/Jan28thbluedam003.jpg

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Oh man...those are some nice ones there. Thanks for the pictures.:crazy:

3. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    Nice fish! I agree 100% Pete!

4. catfishman352007

catfishman352007 New Member

State:
    ARNOLD/IMPERIAL
    im wondering if any of you all ever keep big ones i know i do im a firm believer the bigger the better but during tournys ill release if need be lol

5. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    good looking fish, congrats

6. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Great catch, Congrats! Thanks

7. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Ur right pete, those are some nice ones for sure, and I'm sure there will be some cpr guys on in a minute.lol As u said they were legal to keep them as they caught them & they were going to eat em!!!

8. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Pete, did ya catch any fish?

Jaime

9. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Do you think these fish may have been snagged? I am NOT saying they were, so let's not start a debate. Just curious. A couple years ago I saw a couple of guys at the Carlyle spillway pull in 2 30+ pound flatheads just below the dam. I could tell they were snagging. Someone closer to them must have yelled at them or threatened to call a warden, because they quickly pulled anchor and flew downstream. Later I talked to a fella that was fishing the bank right in front of them and he said they were using Little George's and replaced the treble with huge snagging hooks.

Back to the two 60 pounders - nice fish! If they were truly caught on little spinning rods, that is quite a feat!

10. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Nice fish thank's for sharing. We have them that big around here, but not very many. It is a shame they were not let go:sad2: I understand they will be eaten, and we have a right to do what we want to with them once we catch them......I still think it is sad they were not released to perhaps fight again another day.

11. smokeysmurf22

smokeysmurf22 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    were they fishing below the dam or on the lake? the post says pickwick but im not too familiar with that body of water beside from knowing there is a dam.

12. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Some nice fish there, and if they wanted to keep them then more power to them. Why do so many people chime in with let them go , I understand the cpr thing but until the rules say no fish over 30 inches or something along those lines, they are entitled to keep it. Its not like he is commercial fishing or something.

13. kuhlcat

kuhlcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    nice fish that lake is full of nice blues

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Pete for sharing the pics. Nice fish. It looked like they were useing the Hummingbird side image depth finder. It was hard to make out. Did you get a good luck at it?

15. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Those are nice fish. Having said that they can catch some dinks if they want to eat some fish or go to red lobster there is no reason to kill trophy fish like that. I fully understand its there right to do so but its just not very responsable those fish could have been someones state or world record in a few years......maybe even theirs. I know not everyone will agree with me and thats fine too that is also their right. I just think it was more that their pride got the best of them and they just wanted to show them off more so than they wanted to eat them.:sad2::embarassed::angry:

16. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Nobody said anything other than they wish they were let go....Not a unreasonable wish.

-Jim-

17. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    The fish were hooked after hitting the jig. You would not belive the times we catch blues that hit the jig. But it is tipped with a 2" minnow. So there is live bait there also.
    They were caught below the dam right up along side the concrete.
    No they did not have one of the Humminbird units. But I think one of then stayed in a holiday Inn last night.

I caught one sauger and it was short. My luck hungry gut and no stinking luck.
    But it was nice to be out on the water. Even though it was 26 degrees when I put the boat in and was a warm 35 degrees when I took it out.
    If I can get OLD Slow Drover to come down and bring a few fresh Skipjack we may have to try our luck at a nice big blue.
    Pete

18. anchorpuller

anchorpuller New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Nice lookin' catch. Wish I could claim a catch like that on light gear or any gear!

19. cassk

cassk New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Nice blues, thanks for sharing. hopefully they will learn that the six to eight pounders taste a lot better.:angry:

20. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Thanks Pete for pics. You know I wish they had of turned them loose as well but the limit is one per person per day over 34" and if they truly were going to eat them:crazy: makes it even more okay. Maybe one day they will see the light and let them grow into 100 pounders for me to catch:smile2: