6 weeks in southern Minnesota

Discussion in 'MINNESOTA RIVERS TALK' started by Crawdad, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    This Monday, wife & I are headed up with our camper & boat to stay near rochester for 6 weks. Will have lots of time to go fishing. Anyone looking for a new partner? Drop me a note.

2. southcatfish

southcatfish Guest

what brings you up this way, on vacation? most people travel this far for ice fishing.

3. southcatfish

southcatfish Guest

hows the cattin going lately pretty slow down there?

4. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Bill, are you going any further north? or ya staying around Rochester?

5. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    Hi guys, Thanks for the replies. I'm going to be in treatment at Mayo each weekday morning for a short time, but will have most of the day for fishing or sight seeing. we're bringing our boat and (my shotgun) with us for fun. Looking for folks who want to make contact. After we get back we'll have about 3 weeks before Pheasant season starts; then I'll be going to Iowa each weekend.
    Hope to get lots of fishing in up there tho. And my wife is quite a photographer, so we'll spend some time looking around about 150 miles from Rochester.

6. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Bill, I'm in Stacy MN a couple hrs. from Rochester, if you would like to stop up you are more than welcome. We could shoot some trap out back or take a trip to the river where I do most of my fishing. PM me if you need directions or phone #.

7. Ridgerunnr

Ridgerunnr New Member

State:
    Rochester MN
    I am 20 min from Roch..If you have the boat we can try the Miss. River
    call me 507-259-5573..if no ans lv mssge
    phil

8. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Welcome to the BOC Phil. Lots of good stuff on here,take agood look around.

9. Ridgerunnr

Ridgerunnr New Member

State:
    Rochester MN
    Been lookin around and picked up a few tips I didn't know. I also upgraded rod yesterday and lookin into a new reel. My youngest boy smasked my cattin rod 3 weeks ago so had to go buy a new Uglystick..Decided on either a Abu 6500 or a shimano 6500 spin reel..I have never used the baitcasters like the Abu and dont really want to play with backlash disasters so leaning towards the Shimano and some braided 30 # line

10. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Bait casters aren't that difficult to use if your using heavier line. Spinning reels are good but you can burn out the drags quicker if your working heavier fish.
    I have 2 6500c3s loaded with 50lb power pro and they are working like champs.
    (JUst got at the beginning of he season)
    I've boated a 44, a couple 30s and a few 20s and I have to say that they beat the spinning reels hands down. Bait clickers are a really nice feature. IF you get a spinner make sure it has it on their. UNLESS..... You exclusively tight line.
    Good luck
    Larry

11. Ridgerunnr

Ridgerunnr New Member

State:
    Rochester MN
    I did buy the 6500c3, spendy but man is it nice! I went on Fri night for a few hours . We fished from the bank at dam 5A up from winona,,,got skunked! lol But the reel performed great, I just need to add mroe line to get a further cast. I put 30# braided line on but only had 175 yards of it. I was able to adjust the spool speed easily and had no prob lmaking the switch to a bait caster..Im hooked for sure..now just to find some cats willing to test it !