6 horse mercury prop

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by waynesburgjay, Mar 14, 2008.

1. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    My friend's got this 6 horse mercury motor and he wants to get a little more speed out of it. I was wondering about a new prop for it. Was wondering what pitch or diameter he should get for it. Thanks for the help.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    He most likely can drop one more pitch then what he is already running but to be completely safe in doing that he needs to find out how many RPM's he is running with his current set up. If you prop it to high then it lugs the motor to death and if its to low then it will over wind it and shake the rods right out of the block.

3. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I'm just curious...is the Mercury a 2 or 4-stroke? And what is the diameter and pitch of the prop he now has?

The reason I'm curious is I've been told that the Nissan 6 HP 4-stroke and the Mercury 6 HP 4-stroke are the same motor.

My Nissan owner's manual shows the prop for the Nissan 6 HP is a 7.8 X 8.0 pitch prop. RPM's 5,000 to 6,000.

4. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    The motor is a 2 stroke. As far as I know it's the original prop that came with it. That's all I can tell you.