6.8mm Remington

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by badkarma, Feb 29, 2008.

1. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    Does antone have a rifle in 6.8mm Remington?? going by what I have read about it it sounds very good.Ruger now makes a Mini14 Ranch rifle in that cal.and if I had the cash I would buy one today.

2. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    dont have one ,but would like to

3. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    I hope the military goes to that round in the near future,I never thought the 5.56(.223) was a big enough caliber bullet.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Now i could be wrong about this but to my understanding the 6.8 rem is a necked down .270.Dont quote me on this but im sure i read that somewhere,can anyone tell me if that is correct?I also agree with ruger 454 i think the 223 is and always has been a poor choice for the military.Some may disagree but thats just my opinion.From the things ive been hearing it sounds like the 6.8 would be a fine round for the military.thats what the round was designed for,military use.I think the 223 is a good caliber depending on what it is being used for.Its a good varmint round but not so much for military use.

5. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The 6.8SPC is not a necked down 270. A group of special forces soldiers got together to find a heavier bullet for longer range effectiveness in the atmosphere they were fighting in, the open dessert. They needed something that would be an easy swap out on their existing battle rifle that they could use all the other parts but the barrel for.

The cartridge they found to use as a base was the old .30 Remington case which was a semi-auto version of the 30/30. It was used alot after the turn of the century(last one). All they did is to neck the .30 Remington case down to 270 and load it with a 110grain 270 bullet. The ballistics look impressive for woods range small to average size deer and would be a great kid or wife deer rifle in a little bolt gun. With Barnes making a 110 grain copper bullet, you should get the same penetration as a 130 grain lead bullet of the same velocity. I wish I could find one or two in the old Mark X action, I got two little ones coming up to deer hunting age in a couple years.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Please dont quote me on this ,But my understanding on the 6.8 was it was designed primarimarily for the military as a target round for long range ,then found to be more effective at down range kinetics . at any rate I am impressed by the performance charts I've seen . I would also like one only in a bolt action ,as a hunting rifle.

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I just got the information from an article in one of the magazines when it first appeared. There might be a different story alltogether as far as it's origin.

I'm like you though, I like the ballistics on it for our size deer and other smaller critters. We sportsmen always seem to benefit when the military hits on a good cartridge. Some of the best examples I've seen are the 30-06, .308, 6.5x55, 7x57, .223, and 50BMG just to name a few. Seems like whatever they adopt, we seem to be able to kidnap it and adapt it to our own uses.

THANKS MILITARY R&D!

8. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    The 6.8 Remington was made by necking down and shorting the 30 Remington case.The case is shorter than a .223 but a loaded round is the same length as the .223.A 115 grain bullet fired from a 24 in barrel moves at 2800 fps with a little over 2000 fp of energy.They said the wound channel in gelatin was as good or better than the .308 and if I remember it right it moved at around 2500fps from a 16in barrel.

9. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    ok well i knew it was something like that.I knew it had something to do with the .270 so thanks for the info and clearing that up for me.