6/7-6/8 Flathead catfish

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by RiverKat, Jun 8, 2007.

1. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    The last few days have brought some good flathead fishing. Last night we only landed one but it was a 23 lb'er. It took a live shad on at about 11:00pm. We only caught a few other fish and they were all channels.

Tonight I did'nt think we'd get a full 6 hour trip in before the storm but we did. We enjoyed fantastic fishing from the get go. The first fish of the night was a 22lb flathead that took a piece of cut chub at 7:00pm. The fish fought hard and had us hung up in a snag for a short time before busting free and fighting hard for a few more minutes before coming boatside. "Thats how you start a fishing trip", I said. We landed 5 other flatheads between 8 - 12 lbs and 4 really nice channel cats including one 12 lb'er that fought just as hard as the big flathead. All but one of the flatheads tonight were caught on cut chubs. A 12 lb'er took a live 6" bluegill. The majority of the action tonight took place betweebn 7:00pm - 10:00pm. I had a very similar day last July when a storm front was approaching. We landed 8 flatheads that day between 4:00pm - 9:00pm all on cut bait. I think I see a pattern there.

pics from the past 2 days trips

Dan

Attached Files:

2. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Thanks again for another great river report! Keep those pics comin!

3. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    great post and what a wonderful trip. THe pics look good as well. Sounds like I need to wait out a storm?!

4. mich dave

mich dave New Member

State:
    Otisville
    You need to change your name to THE MASTER CATMAN. You nailed more flat's in the last week than I've got in my life! GREAT JOB

5. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    The first week of June is always awesome for flatheads on the Grand. It's the peak of their short,but sweet pre spawn feeding binge. I'm just lucky enough to be out there every night. :big_smile:

Dan

6. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste

Possible storm Saturday to end this dry spell. Hmmmm.....

7. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    This weekend should be a good one for flatheads on the Grand. We've had stable weather conditions all week, the river is back down to a normal level, and the flatheads are feeding heavy. Getting flatheads every day on fresh cutbait and livebaits too. Big bluegills were the ticket last night. For the 1st time in my life I took the leftover bait home and ate it today!! Hard to beat a basket of fried gills and home made french fries.:smile2:

Dan

8. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Nice fish. Thxs for pics.

9. Angler Management

Angler Management New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Mmmmmm... Bluegills... That's why you never take a deep fryer on the boat. You won't have any live bait left. Might just have to do some bait, er, gill fishing with the family over the weekend.

10. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Get some bullheads. The big cats love 'em, and you can't kill 'em in the bait bucket.
    Fish them on your stoutest rig and be ready for a fight, because the little cats won't touch them.

11. Gr_Cat

Gr_Cat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I'd love to find a good spot to catch bullheads consistently. Gills and big shiner / sucker minnows are much easier to come by, at least they are for me.

12. Whiskerwhacker

Whiskerwhacker New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Last time I went flatheadin' I used blue gills and big sucker minnows, and had no trouble at all with the little fish touching them, I also had no trouble with the big fish touching them...:sad2:. I did have blue gill for lunch the other day and I agree...MMMMMMMMM.

13. BigCat72

BigCat72 New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Congrats on the catch