6-30 and 7-1 Warsaw report

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Catfish Pursuit, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, just got home, fished yesterday afternoon/evening till about 2am, not a fish caught, fished this afternoon, left about 8:30pm, not a fish in the boat. Pretty rough fishing out there, talked with several guys fishing for cats and nobody was coming up with anything. Had plenty of dink bites but nothing that was catchable. Doesn't help that they keep screwing with the water, on and off all the time. Hopefully things will level out in the next week or so. Also met Mo Hick at Drake Harbor tonight, super nice guy! Good luck out there everyone! Chris

2. farmer

farmer New Member

State:
    Osceola, MO
    Hey Chris sounds like ya had a pretty tough time. My dad uncle and brother was out yesterday and all of last night. I know they had a 25lber and a 20lber and 11 smaller ones. Thats all I really know. I don't know where they found shad. I am sure they were fishing at was up from Drake Harbor.

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Sounds like it may actually work out good for you guys - they might finally start running water steady after the spawn. From what I read last year on this thread as soon as you get a good, steady flow of water out of the lake ya'll will be hammering the pigs down there. Sorry you didn't get into any this trip.

4. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, when I came in last night there were only 3 boats on the water, one was tied off from one of the cables at the swinging bridge, and two were anchored out in front of Drake Harbor. I'm sure I could have found some fish, just got burned out pulling the anchor and running everywhere. Chris

5. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dang Chris, thats not good to hear. I have family coming in over the 4th, but I did take Monday off. If they get some kinda of steady water flow going I am going down Sunday for the night.

6. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Chris, Thanks for the report. I've seen the same thing...very few fish and no good ones..few bites. :sad2: On the flip side of it....they have to start with a steady flow in the near future and the fish should be done with the spawn in short order. :wink:

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like one of my typical trips. I get lucky sometimes however and I bet your next outing will be much better

8. huntoften

huntoften New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I feel your pain! Took my mom down yesterday to fish with catfish safari...we didn't catch a a single fish! We'll fish a make up date as soon as they get the water running steady in the next couple of weeks. Steve was first class on a crummy fishing day though! :cool2:

9. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    How much does that Barker guide service charge Josh. :wink: Sounds like they had a good night. I think a lot of the big fish caught in our tournament this week end came between 1 and 3 am. The day time bite is slow, allways is in June and July. Hopefully they get the water going this week. I heard after the 3rd they were going to start crankin it up. The Dam Experience fireworks show is on the 5th this year so you guys might want to avoid that evening. There will be a ton of boats up in the river channel to watch the fireworks display. After mid night most of them will be gone though.

10. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Personally, I'm of the opinion that the spawn is either not started or still in full swing. None of the fish I saw at the ACATS tournament last weekend looked like the normal post-spawn beat-to-death cats you'd expect, and the big fish I saw were still very dark colored which is typical of pre-spawn males to me. With the water temps just now hitting 78 or 79, I really don't think it's all over with yet. But what do I know...

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Looking back at records for several years the magic date has been July 7th for the big fish coming out. I caught my 59 lb. blue on the 7th last year and we were catching 20's-40's regurally the week before to a couple weeks after that. With the winter we had this year I dont know if it will affect it or not but it seems were a week or so behind this year because of it? I think once they start up the current we will be hearing of some big fish in the next week or two. That spawns a weird thing as they all go at different times but any time after the 4th of July has allways been a good time to be out there in the past.

12. love2catfish

love2catfish New Member

State:
    Northwest Missouri
    Last Saturday evening, my 14 year old guest caught an 11lb blue by the swinging bridge. It was packed with eggs. I don't know that 1 fish helps set a trend, but...

13. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    You didn't mention that it was only a 90-minute fishing trip!

I was all ready to get Steve a hard time -- the man *never* has a fishless trip -- but then he told me it was just an hour or two, not a "real" all-day trip... :smile2:

14. huntoften

huntoften New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Not 90 minutes...10:30 - 1:30, an hour of scouting for fish, 2 hours of fishing, but 2 hours with only nibbles and one broken off fish we knew the COE didn't want us to catch a fish. I've been after anything that swims down there since the early 80's and know just how mean the COE can be to a fisherman. Don't even get me started on how they treat duck hunters! :wink:

We'll be back once things get stable and my mother will catch her PB fish on the back of his boat! :smile2:

In the mean time, I'll work on getting the boat ready and the hooks sharpened!

15. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have fished with Steve on several different occasions and I would recommend him to anyone. If he gets shut out no matter how long or short of a fishing trip then I know I'll be doing other things than fishing.