6/24/06 Black River Report

Discussion in 'ARKANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by Arkie55, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Got on the river yesterday morning around 6:00. Caught my first fish around 8:00 am. Caught my last fish at 3:45 pm. In between the bite was slow but seemed to be steady. Total for the day was 8 cats and on gar.

3 flats, 5lb, 3lb, and 10lb
    3 channel 4lb, 2lb, 3lb
    2 blue 8lb and over 20lb.

I estimate the big blue between 20 and 25lbs. He was the last fish of the day and measured 34". I didn't have a scale with me and I released him after landing and measureing.

The gar was about 4' long and gave a good fight. All fish caught on cut bait, fresh skipjack. I caught the 10lb flat and the 8lb blue on the same skipjack head. I had just put in on and within two minutes I had the flat on. The head was still hooked so I just cast it back into the same location. Within 3minutes the blue had the head and was making a strong run. I fillet all the fish except the big Blue. Nice day to be on the river.

2. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    (6/24/06 night) We launched out of Shaeffer's Eddy. Excellent concrete ramp by the Game & Fish.

This is the first time I ever fished there and the night was nearly ruined by motor trouble. I finally got it tuned to idle but it was unsteady at full throttle. Due to being unfamiliar with the water, I hit a few stumps and logs. I hit one at full throttle and knocked the motor up so high it latched in the up position. NOTE: When fishing new water NEVER latch you motor down!!!

We set 38 limblines for a total of about 70 hooks baited with goldfish. We made a major error by baiting up before dark. The gar wiped us clean.
    After dark we started picking up a few fish.

The water level was low and shallow and current swift. We fished steep banks and log jams. The total for the night was 8 flathead, 10 channel,7 gar, 2 grinnel and 1 drum. The cats averaged about 1 1/2 pounds but we ended up with about 23 pounds of consumeable catfish.

The biggest flathead was probably 3 pounds and the biggest channel close to that. Two of the channel had eggs so I would say the spawn is about passed.

Because of the motor trouble, I chose to fish upstream. May go back someday and fish down stream.

Robert

3. CIRCLE HOOK

CIRCLE HOOK New Member

State:
    ARKANSAS
    I went to the black and fished saturday evening till about 1:30 am ended up with 2 flathead (couple lbs each), 1 channel (about 5-6 lbs), and 1 blue ( 15lbs on scale) The blue would have bested my personal record if it hadn't of spawned already. Also 1 gar. the flats were on cutbait and the channel and blue ate a live perch. That is backwards to me, but I take 'em how I get 'em!!! I don't know if you guys fish a lot of live perch, but I found a pretty good way of keeping them alive if you have to drive a ways. I had one of those drinking water coolers and the spout broke off, so I quicksteeled the hole. Then, I drilled a hole in the lid for my bubble box hose to go through. I use a couple small butter dishes to make ice in, then put those blocks in a ziplock bag. Between the bubble box and the water staying cold, they live really well.

4. crane

crane New Member

State:
    Paragould, AR
    Sounds like I'm going to have to fish a little further south on the black river. I have fished up around Delaplaine and can't hardly catch anything bigger than 2 pounds. I've also never caught any blue cat up that way. I've fished around pocahontas with little success, I'm pretty sure there should be some blues up that way.

Arkie55, how far below black rock would a fellow have to go to get into some of the larger blues?

5. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Crane,
    I would suspect from Black Rock south. I do most of my fishing between Black Rock and Elgin but have fished from Black Rock to Old Davidsonville State Park. There is a new ramp between Clover Bend and Swifton on the east side of the river. There is a good ramp at Black Rock. There is a good ramp at Old Davidsonville State Park south of Pocahontas. There is a good ramp at Lynn (Wild Life Management Area) and a good ramp at Elgin. All ramps listed above are Game and Fish ramps. There are also two primitive ramps that the public can use. I normally put in at Lynn because the ramp on only 6 miles from my house. Blues are not as plentfully as Flats and Channels but they are there. I do catch some and some are real good ones. Would be happy to show you around sometime. Send me a PM sometime and we can arrange a trip.