6.0 chip

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by cumberlandcat, Dec 16, 2007.

1. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I finally got my truck done with a 12 inch lift and some 38x16.5 so its up there but I am wondering if anyone has any feed back on a chip to better my gas mpg. I have heard some say they don't make a difference but I know they all can't be bad. I have been looking around online for some reviews but can't find much .I don't really care about the power just increasing the mpg. Any input would be great. Thanks

2. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    what kind of truck is it and what year ? newer ones dont have a replaceable chip but have to be reprogrammed, most chips are made for more horsepower and torque which wont better your gas mileage

3. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It is a 2003 1500hd gmc crew cab. I figured that there would be one to tune it for better mpg.

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Unless you geared for those 38's, a chip, nor anything else will help mileage much. You would be working the engine too hard in stop & go situations, and running way low of the engines optimal rpm on highway driving. If you have the right gearing, yes a chip will help you out (and yes they do work), so will a set of shorty headers, a catback dual exhaust, and a cold air induction system. Its only money man, you cant take it with you when you die.:wink:

5. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    You need a custom tune from Charlie Wheatly in Texas. I did a Volant cold air intake, Corsa touring exhaust and had Charlie tune my computer for 93 octane and fuel economy. I got 23.5 mpg unloaded on my last trip from SW VA to Eastern Va. Before the upgrades I could only get 18-19 mpg at it very best on the same trip. He improved my shifting, and I have more power even though that was not important. Just be honest with him on what you expect and are looking for him to do for you. He gives life time free re programing if you ever want it or need it. Can do everything any of the hand held programmers can do and more. Not cheap but definitely worth looking into.
    I have an 05 GMC crew 1500 with the 5.3 on stock tires and suspension.
    The larger wheels and tires are going to cost you MPG as you know.
    If you want a web site or number give me a PM.

Results will vary, read all warning labels and follow the instructions, side effects mat include but are not limited to.... :smile2::smile2::smile2:

6. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well the gears are on the way I am trying to decide if I should go with 4:56 or 4:88. I think 4:56 will do the trick. I have the exhaust takin care of. I am going to put the gears in and then a chip hopefully.

7. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    I have a Superchips programmer on my 2002 Dakota. With your 38s, is good gas milage such a thing? I have 33 inch tires and am going to 35 inch in the spring. I have 4.56 gears and the Superchip has an 87 octange setting for gas milage. I always get 13-14 mpg and never expected anymore with all the modifications. Also have you adjusted the speedometer for the larger tires and figured you gas milage? Most chips will let you adjust for tire size but, have a limit on the largest tire it can adjust for.

Craig

8. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just had it done and I don't want to know what I am getting, I might check next week. I put a 12 inch lift on it and its bad let me tell ya, my camera is out of comission so I can't get you guys a pic right now but when I can I will I have been waiting for 11 years to do this to a truck and now its done.