5th Wheel Trailer

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by Vulture, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Vulture

Vulture New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Looking to buy a 5th wheel trailer with a goose neck. I'll be towing it with a 2006 Chevy 2500HD crew cab diesel short bed. I want to use a hide a hitch so I can still retain the bed of my truck when not in use. Will I have any issues with the cab of the truck hitting the front portion of the trailer when making sharp turns? Are there any other options I can use. Keep in mind I prefer the hide a hitch.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The only way you gonna use a hide a hitch is to use the goose type ball hitch. The filth wheel hook up is an entirely different animal. As for the trailer hitting anything if the hitch is set right you won't have any problem.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have seen the converter plates that are available on fifth wheel travel trailers. If you have a short bed truck,You need the long nose type of fifth wheel hitch on the trailer. then add the goose neck comverter to it.

4. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I've got a 20 foot gooseneck trailer and a hide a hitch on my f-350. I can turn as sharp as I can and the trailer never gets close to the cab. You do on one hand have to watch your tailgate when going over a drop or quick steep hill. The neck will drop down and take out your bed or tailgate. Alot of times I get in a tight turn on the job and will back into the trailer to where it swings about a foot from the cab. When I pull back foward the trailer is actually going backwards for a few until it spins on around. Gooseneck traliers are the way to go my friend.

5. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I got a buddy that put a fifthwheel to gooseneck conversion on his, along with the hide-a-ball, he loves it. Its going on 3 years now with no problems.

6. Vulture

Vulture New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Thanks everyone! I will be using the hide hitch type ball with a goose neck. I'm going to get a 9 inch extension so that the trailer will set further back to avoid my rear window during sharp turns.

7. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Hi Greg, are you looking for a fifth wheel stock trailer are a fifth wheel camping trailer. I have the same pickup you have and I pull a 32 foot Cardinal camping trailer that ways 12000 empty and my wife has it loaded. I have a slider fifth wheel hitch made by Husky. and it is easy to remove leaving only two runners bolted in the bottom of the bed. I paid 12 hundred dollars for my hitch but I sure like it, and it is safe. I have never had to use the slider but it's their if I ever needed it. I am curious to know what kind of diesel milage you are getting, I get about 9 1/2 mpg with the trailer and I have got has high as 17 mpg with out it. I do like my truck, I am just not happy about the price of diesel,but not enough to get rid of my truck.

8. Vulture

Vulture New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I'm getting 17 mpg now but don't know what will happen when I get my trailer. Thinking about doing some exhaust modifications and maybe a chip to improve gas mileage. That would be my next question. I had a B&W hide a hitch put in today and ordered a 9 inch goose neck extension from Pop Up. The extension places the actual neck 9 inches back so when I swing the trailer around sharp corners my cab stays in tact. So they say.....I'll let you know if it works. Where in Calif are you from?