58# Spoonbill, Neosho River, 8 April oklahoma

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Tulcat, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Well Pittscat90 and I had an awesome day on the Neosho, and I landed the biggest of the year so far at 58 pounds. It was awesome as I was using a new untested R&R (brand new Tiger Lite with an Abu Record RCN60HC spooled with 50#PP), and this was the tests of all tests as not only was it a 58# sow, but I had her hooked in the tail which means she fought like a 78 # fish. About 10 seconds after hooking her she shot out of the water about 3 feet into the air, the first I had ever seen a spoonie do that.

We released her to live another day.

All totaled, we boated 10 fish for a total of about 350 pounds. It was a great day! I'll post more pics and details later.

Attached Files:

2. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    I think there used to be a sign, when I was a youngster, outside of Neosho Kansas claiming the title of Catfish Capitol of the World. I suppose there were referring to the river itself. We used to see people line the banks when we went thru.

3. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Chuck,

I think that sign is in the city of Chetopa, KS, which has the Neosho River running through it. But there is going to be a lot more rain needed to move the Spoonies up that far

4. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    OK as the catfish said, "I'll bite". Are sponbills good to eat. We don't have them up here and I have never caught one down there either.
    John

5. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

They are different from most fish, as there are no bones, only cartilage. There is also a lot of red meat that must be trimmed away, as a piece as small as a sliver left on will ruin the whole fillet and most likely all your cooking oil too with a terrible strong fish taste.

I know some people that love spoonbill, and others such as me can take it or leave it. I cleaned a 30# sow today and am giving away the fillets, as all I wanted was the roe.

From the roe I got I will make several pounds of caviar, of which I will give away most. And at about $100 per 8oz delivered, what a bargain it is to harvest your own!

Check this link out: http://cgi.ebay.com/Caviar-AMERICAN...ryZ14312QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

6. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    That's a very nice fish. Those tail snags are so much more fun and like you say it's like adding another twenty pounds to the fight. I never even got out to fish today. I notice a problem with one of the boards on my boat trailer and then discovered a few other problems that needed to be tended to before taking boat out.

7. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Bummer on not making it out. The winds were so hard today we could not even try the lake, but found a sweet spot about 5 yards long where we had few competitors but could hook a fish about every pass. Further upstream we could see 40 boats all pounding an area known to hold fish, but when it came cleaning time the biggest they produced was just under 50#.

I'll get more photos up tomorrow.

8. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Dooooh!

Well....

5 yards should be 500 yards

9. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Might have been Tulcat. I was a youngun and we were traveling from Wichita to Arkansas. I knew I saw the sign though. Dad always said we'd have to try fishing there but never did.

10. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

I've never fished much in the Neosho at Chetopa either, but I know we have some BOC members in KS who do. But I do fish the Neosho in OK most of the year for spoonies, channels, blues, and flatties; depending on the season.

11. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK

I know as even as little as five years ago they busted a couple of guys running massive snag lines across the Neosho. They would catch hundreds of spoonbills only to cut open there bellies and take the roe. They caught them with a pickup load of ice chests filled with nothing but spoonbill eggs. They had been busted before for this but the profits were much bigger than the fines. I believe for the most part this has stopped around Oklahoma. The spoonbill fishing is pretty darn good here in Okie land.

12. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Yea I think I read not too long ago about some guys getting some Federal time at the Cross-Bars Motel, all expenses paid.

We saw the game wardens today, and as I throttled down as we passed him he said he would need to look at our licenses, and I laughed and told him I wanted a closer look at his new awesome boat. He said it was the boats 3rd time out.

After he checked us out, I pulled out my cell phone to access my address book and got to put a face with the game warden cell phone numbers I programmed in at the start of the season to report poachers.

It was a fun way to end the day.

13. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Ok I got curious and had to go out and weigh the roe I harvested today.

We cleaned one 30 pound sow, out of which we got 6 1/2 pounds of roe. She was caught towards the end of the trip and as you will see in the pics was bleeding bad from being gill hooked, which made her a good candidate for harvest.

And for those not familar with spoonbills, a 30 pounder is a rather small sow, as it we relased others in the 40 and 50 pound range today.

14. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

Forgot the pic.

Attached Files:

15. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Great post and awesome fish! I always thought spoonbills jumped in the water like that..............could be wrong. Never fished for them, just saw them on TV.

Thanks for sharing!

16. Tulcat

Tulcat New Member

You are correct that they jump to the point of being airborn throughout the summer months, when they are too scattered to catch, but are abundant to see in the lake jumping.

But during the colder months of the year when they are fishable, I've never seen a fish go airborn like that when it was hooked.

But I'm sure others probably have on occassion.

17. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Interesting fact.

P.S. Perhaps it was the tail hook that sent it into the air. Ouch I bet it would hurt. :cool:

18. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Looks like an AWESOME Trip.

We are supposed to go back down to Choteau this coming weekend. Bought me a flat bed trailer to haul stuff on, but, since I was pullin my father in laws, couldn't find a way to get it back.