Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a wind-erful day! Four TARP fish! I kissed the lump in the bed and it mumbled something like "Hab uh gud day" and I hit it for the river at daylight. Strong current and a zillion birds working the main channel greeted me, along with a brisk wind. Luckily, it was from the southwest and the area I fish was (relatively) calm. Boat control was a little wild, but the blue cats were BITING. I got a new rod from my friends in Morristown, TN, and they had my favorite style Ugly Stik reworked with extra guides in a "Roberts Wrap" configuration. It's a casting rod, but the guides work around until they are UNDER the rod tip like a spinning rod. Wierd, but comfortable when fighting a big fish. Also, somehow my 80 lb mono sets up a vibration when cranking in a fish and the new rod "sings" during the fight. I especially liked the "55 pounder" song it played today! The "22 pounder", "21 pounder" and "20 pounder" tunes were really nice too! The wind got stronger and shifted to the west and the waves got nuts. I was still catching fish but the boat was taking on water - over the bow - so by noon I had to pull the plug and splash my way back to the ramp. The powerlines were singing their own wind song by then, and they were loud! Today's total was 24 blue cats, 55, 22, 21, and 20 pounds for the four TARPS, and oodles of 8 to 12 pounders. I'd still be there if not for the wind!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
Man Eric,WHAT A PIG !!!!! Congratulations Sir.J.D.:smile2:

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Good gravy Eric, way to get the new catching season started. Man, it don't matter to you how the weather is, you going to catch fish if you are on the water and now that your boat is fixed you will be out there even more. Way to go buddy.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.