$55,000 Door Prize

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by metalman, Mar 5, 2006.

1. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Usually I don't let stuff like this bother me as there will always be those that are better off and those worse off but this is just plain wrong.
    The little "goodie bag" given to all the guests at this years Oscars has a value of $55,000 Yes, you read that right, FIFTY FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS.
    Now, not only do the recipients of these little gifts make more in a year than some people will make in their lifetimes and hardly need to be given freebies but at fifty five grand a pop it would take most of us all our paychecks for 1-2 years to pay for that bag of treats.
    This has to be extravagance at it's worst and a kick in the teeth for the countless people that lost everything in last year's hurricanes or those that are in dire financial trouble due to serious illness or because some thieving b@$t@rd bled their retirement plan dry.
    Maybe I'm wrong to think this, and I know that all those knick-knacks are given by their respective manufacturers to garner publicity for their products but even if the costs for these handouts comes from advertising budgets surely there are better ways to spend that kind of money...W

2. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I agree it makes me sick to. It seems the richer you are the more money they just throw at you yet when your down and out dirt poor no one wants to help. It's all right though think of the kind of person you would be if you didn't work for everything you had. I'm not saying they're all bad people but most of those people are pretty fake. I'm almost glad I'm not rich. I have everything i need. Those people will never truly be happy so in that since they are poor.

3. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Amen Fryguy! But since I've been poor all my life I would like to try being rich now, I think I can handle it.

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    It's a very real but simple fact of life: Some people are taught what is truly valuable in this journey, some people eventually figure it out, and some people choose to remain clueless.

5. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I'm with ya Rusty I wouldn't mind have enough money to pay all the bills off either but I don't regret growing up poor because I was taught what's important and you can't buy that with any amount of money.

6. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    You got that right brother!

7. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I have always heard that money can't buy happiness.

Perhaps that is true when it comes to love. (In some cases)

But I'm fairly certain of this...I tend to think that whoever said that happiness can't be bought...didn't have any money...Lol.

Maybe the old saying above isn't true...but in my case...being on the outside looking in...I'd sure like to give being rich a whirl instead of struggling week to week to pay bills, raise kids, and still manage to buy fishing equipment.

I'd be the perfect rich person...instead of frugal purchases on stupid stuff like Tiffany's diamonds...I'd be donating to help kids start out fishing...and stuff of that nature.

I think I'll go out and buy that lottery ticket...I hear you need to have one in order to win!!

Until I strike it rich tho...I'll just continue to live rich instead when I'm catching my fish without the benefit of an expensive guide and a $40,000 bass boat....and enjoying my life without any significant stress about a rising and falling stock market!

8. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    For the most part, rich people are complete a$$holes. Of course there are always a few exceptions to the rule.

To me, working class folks are the most decent people there are. And way more fun to be around than snobs.

9. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I know money can't buy happiness but I often wonder what it would be like to be able to rent it whenever you like.

I too think that is way overboard they could donate the money to charity and still get their product plugged just the same.

10. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Just goes to show that those folks don't know how to hand out the right door prizes. Now had they given them a good quality Dip Bait in those sacks their expression on national TV would have been .......Simply Priceless!;)

11. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I agree with Catcaller and RIP, I sure wouldn't mind giving it a try. I think I could be good at being rich even though I don't have any expirence, lol.

12. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    winston, they probably had to come up with an incentitive for the guests to show up .
    i think that even being rich you would still enjoy a nice expensive gift.

i mean who would want to be in a room full of arrogant snobs for an hour and a half for nothing?????;)

i agree that its ridicules , you see this in politics and sports too.

13. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    ken, i'd go 1 step more and suggest they have horsdevours made with dip bait !!!!!!!!!!!!!:p see how many actually taste. and have that recorded:rolleyes:
    i would watch LOL

14. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    knocking people for having money is as bad as people that have money knocking you for not having it. If everyone on the planet was capable of giving an oscar award performace you wouldnt see $ 30,000,000 a movie actors.If everyone could hit a 76 mph big league change up after seeing a 97 mph fast ball the pitch before, ball players wouldnt make so much either.

When you talk oscar's or big league sports guys your talking about the very top .01% of the field. They are the very best at what they do. I say good for them.:)

15. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    I'm not nocking anybody for having money just stating what I've observed in the majority of people I have met. Like I said they're not all bad people and many of them have earned it and do good things with there money but I think the point was some of it is just over the top and gets kind of rediculous sometimes. So please if anybody reading this is rich don't take offense. I was just stating that I am glad that I didn't have everything handed to me growing up.

16. metalman

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    My point wasn't to knock those with wealth, just to comment on what I (my opinion) consider to be over the top extravagance.
    I don't know about what it takes to give an Oscar winning performance or hit a fast ball but I do know that when someone gets 5, 10 or whatever "takes" to get that Oscar winning performance or to be a top-of-the-heap ball player you only have to hit, what, 3-4 balls out 10? then maybe that nurse trying to re-start your heart when you code or that fireman getting your kids out of that burning building or the cop who has to make that split second decision as to whether the gun pointing at him is real or fake are way underpaid.

17. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri

I agree,they prolly are under paid, but on the other hand if me or you wanted to be a nurse,fireman,police officer with a few years of schooling( less in some cases) we could, most anyone could. But no matter how much training or schooling i get , im not going to be able to hit .320 and and 50 homers in the big leagues or give an oscar award winning performance.

Just because someone has money doesnt make them a bad person and you shouldnt sterotype them like some people in this thread have. They get paid very well to do the thing they love, wouldnt we all like that?

18. metalman

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    That statement I totally agree with.
    In my work I have met some very, very wealthy people and many of them are the nicest, kindest and most generous people you could wish to meet.
    Not everyone who lives the "high life" is a pretentious snob with no understanding of what is really important in life, just as not everyone who lives in a trailer is trash with two teeth and a "redneck" attitude.
    I think, catman, that we will have to agree to disagree on the movie star / sports personality pay issue and who is worth what, but I think we are on the same page when it comes to not painting everyone with the same brush...W

19. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri

well said, and good give and take:) :) +rep

20. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I was'nt knocking them, I want to try it. LOL