53 plymouth

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by catfishken, May 28, 2007.

1. catfishken

catfishken Member

State:
    Streator, Illin
    does anyone know where i can get a oil filter for a 1953 plymouth with the flat 6 in it my father in law is restoring it and we cannot find the filter anywhere i have found the conversion kit but he wants dont want to put the conversion kit on it any help would be appreciated thanks KEN

2. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hi Kenneth, I'm going to guess that it's a cannister-type filter (meaning you insert a new filter cartridge into it)? If you have the old element, get the numbers from it, or take the element into your local NAPA. They've suprised me many times by what they could come-up with.

I can understand wanting to keep your old car "origional", but here's something to consider....are you running stock/OEM style tires & wheels, plugwires, fasteners, etc.? A filter conversion (I'm assuming to a spin-on filter) wouldn't be a bad idea, it might simplify things toy might end-up with a better filtration system.

Good luck with your project
    Smitty

3. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Smitty is right. NAPA is able to get all the old filters for all my old cars, trucks and tractors. If they don't have it in stock it is in overnight. And they I keep the old box top and order them in as I need it. The conversion would be the way to go if he is going to drive it a lot.
    Bill

4. daddio

daddio New Member

State:
    kansas
    good luck with the restore I learned to drive in a 54 plymouth we called her liver pill light blue 4 door with a white top yeee haaaw

5. Ecfool

Ecfool New Member

State:
    California
    It should use a Fram C134PL which is a cartridge type filter. You should be able to have the Fram number crossed at any auto parts store and shouldnt have any problem getting one as that filter was used by many industrial applications as well.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Or just use a roll of toliet paper in it.