51 lb. on Cape Fear???

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by irishpride42, Jul 22, 2007.

1. irishpride42

irishpride42 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Stopped by the bait shop today and the new rumor is there was a 51 lb. caught on the upper cape fear last night. Anyone heard anything about it or have any pictures?​

2. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    .......I did get one a shade over 30 not long ago and saw one that was in the 35-40 range some dudes were taking home to eat the other night. .....there was a 55 caught a few years ago by a guy on this board....limb lined if I recall correctly.

3. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I friend of mine caught one near Buckhorn that was in the 40lb range last year so there are certainly fish in that size class and likely much larger in that area.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Big cat fishing used to be alot better up that way.
    Is there still alot of fishcamps below Buckhorn dam?

5. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I honestly have no idea. A lot of those "fishcamps" if we're talking about the same thing used to get farm raised catfish from a bunch of local guys, but they quit doing that and I believe get a lot of local catfish for their fish frys and such.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    We aren't talking about the same thing.
    I dont know if they are still active or not but there used to be alot of fish camps just like deer camps on the bank of the upper Cape Fear.

Guys hanging out all weekend running trotline and drinking Canadian Mist.
    There used to be some monsters come out of there. Flatheads that top our current rod and reel record.
    One group of guys I knew had a steel cable for a trotline that spanned the river. When they checked the lines, they cranked the winch and winched the whole cable up into the air.
    When they were using the trotline or not using it, it was lowered to the bottom.

7. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    I fish the Upper Cape in Erwin. So far this year my biggest fish is a 46lb blue, and personal best is a 55lb flat. I havent been fishing as hard as I'd like to from work and all but there are some bruisers in that stretch of the river from Buckhorn to Erwin. That stretch doesnt see nearly half of the fisherman as the lock and dams

8. s avent

s avent New Member

State:
    nc
    i live in northern harnett county and fish the cape fear often .i think there is still 2 camps on the south bank but don't know of any on the north bank.