51 lb flathead catfish!

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by EricM, Mar 24, 2007.

1. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Harrison TN
    Name:
    Eric Maurer
    I invited a very nice young man from the BOC, Cumberlandcat (Chris), who lives several hours away, to come fishing with me on Friday, 3-23. He has not had much opportunity to catch big cats even though he has put in a lot of time trying. He had never fished using my controlled drift method and was blown away that he would only be using 1 rod and frozen (and re-frozen) skipjack and redhorse. His first blue came very quickly and was 14 lbs if I remember correctly and he was pumped! We had a good day and put a lot of fish in the boat. Unfortunately, I was the one catching all of the bigger blues - 3 about 36". It was getting late and I wanted to try one more place to try to get him a good fish. We made one pass at 38-40 feet and he hooked up a huge fish, but we had no idea how huge! When he finally got it next to the boat I was kind of afraid he'd pass out and I'd have to net him first. It was a 51 lb 1 oz flathead that looked just about as wide as it was long! It took both of us to haul the net in and after all of the hyperventilating was over we weighed, measured, photographed, and released that monster. When it hit the water it took off like a 747 - I guess it finally realized that it had been caught. I was extremely happy for Chris, you should have seen his smiles! The pictures just don't do the fish justice, but you can see that it was so fat that it was about to explode! (I see that he has posted under Tennessee)

Attached Files:

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a nice flathead. what bait was he using?

3. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    man that thing is fat!!! was it pregnant or just gorging?

4. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    A very nice fish and looks like a great time. Way to go Brother.

5. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    congrats a least he got a true trophy for his long drive.

6. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    WOW! Thats a great flathead! What kind of line do you normally use?

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    That's what the BOC is all about! Sharing knowledge and expertise, Kudos and props to Eric for taking the time and offering up some superb guiding skills. Thanks Eric. I'm sure there are many more members like Chris out there who could use an outing like that. I have put people on their first, or personal best Flatheads a few times and it is a very gratifying experience to see how much they get out of it. They talk about it for months afterwards, and will always remember that first one.

So guys, if you can, take out someone that could use the help. You wont be sorry.

8. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Eric,
    Thats a great story and some great pics. Here in the state of Michigan, our state record is 47lbs. A fish like that on the end of any Michiganders line would bring a real smile.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Sparky

9. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Great job on the catch and the release! And thanks for sharing the story!

How long was the fish? I've been thinking that a 50 pounder ought to be around 46", but if it was really fat, might be shorter.
    Please let us know the measurements.

10. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Sometimes its ALMOST as fun putting someone onto their biggest fish than it is to get one yourself. Congrats on the release!

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Eric Thanks for taking another BOC brother on a very special fishing trip. Although he caught several fish which includes a pb he will never forget that trip are the kindness you shared. You just proved what the BOC is all about.:lol: :smile2:

12. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Harrison TN
    Name:
    Eric Maurer
    The fish was only 44" long! I wish I could remember what the girth was. This one was as flat and wide as I have ever seen. Reminded me of those Alaskan halibut! It was a real thrill for me, too. My best flathead was 45", but was very long and thin, only weighed 42 lbs.! Amazing how much difference there can be in weight at the same basic length. Thanks, everyone, for the kind words. Eric

13. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The girth was 34inches if I remember right I wasn't thinking very clear at that point.

14. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Congrats guys- that's a great fish!

BTW that length and weight comes out to like 62 pounds by the formula. Now I know that it estimates a bit heavy for flatheads, but have you tested your scale lately?

15. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    That is one awesome flathead! Thanks for sharing the story and pictures. You have really gotten me excited to bet back on the river this spring!

16. EricM

EricM Active Member

State:
    Harrison TN
    Name:
    Eric Maurer
    JAinSC: I had checked the formula myself and was suprised, but it is a certified scale and is current. I checked it here at home since you brought it up, but it is dead on. I think the discrepency might possibly be caused by the fish being very wide, but without much depth of belly as you can see in the side view. I don't really know, just guesing on this one. Eric

17. KSflatheadKING3511

KSflatheadKING3511 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    nice fish chris thats a nice flattie you'll remember that one for quite a while its nice that you let'em go for another person to catch

18. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Awesome fish! I think its great to take out a member from the BOC to go hook up a personal best. Ive been invited by one member here, and I know soon we will get to go. I hope I can learn from him and get me a pb too!

Thanks for sharing!

19. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    way to go eric nice job putting a fellow member on a personal best and its great that ya'll cpr'd it i tried to hit you with some rep but it wouldnt let me guess i hit you back when you took yer swim so i passed you some gold instead thanks brother for taking a brother out

20. jpw

jpw New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I saw you are from Cleveland TN. What lake/river where you fishing on? I do alot of trout fishing in TN and I am wanting to check out Norris and other lakes there and do some catfishing.