51 lb Blue Catfish from the bank Sunday!! New P.B.!

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by thelastcast, Nov 26, 2008.

1. thelastcast

thelastcast New Member

State:
    Virginia
    O.K., I gotta admit, i don't feel quite as excited as if i caught it in my boat, but Sunday was a really fun day. Melissa & i put in about 3pm, & she got a 16lb'er & a 4.5 to start out. But we had to go back in to meet our son at 5, who didn't feel like going out. Fortunately,some friends were fishing from the bank with a nice hot fire roaring in the barrel. So we pulled the boat out & set up on the beach with them. (that fire felt relly good, it was like 32 degrees out there) No-one was catching anything, so they all want home, & left us a nice fire.:wink: So all at once,my rod bent clean over & started screaming. This thing had such a run, i couldn't believe it! I looked down at my spool a few turns from being empty, & almost peed my pants! It was a great fight. We got it weighed in at 51lbs. took pics & measued him(or her) at 47-48inches. My wife's rod was going off so Jake (our son) set the hook, but it only lasted a few seconds before getting off.Whatever it was made a heck-ofa-splash, as if to laugh at us. It was huge. :sad2: Shortly after that Melissa grabs the next one & pulls in a 7lb Striper! 27 inches. (That's in the fridge!) Nobody walked away empty handed, as Jake did land an 8lb Blue Cat before we had to go. But i have vowed NOT to reel in any more fish when Jake is with us till he lands a big fish. I shall bait and cast, but no hook sets for me.I just feel bad-ya know?? I want him to get a hawg too! So I am now on strike! LOL It was a good day though, & a day to remember with my wife & son. :big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. thelastcast

thelastcast New Member

State:
    Virginia
    The water temp when we were in the boat was 61. shad have not been easy to find, but we've been catching a fair share of mullet, so that's what all fish bit on. Large cuts were not getting bites, so we cut smaller pieces & that was the trick. the 4lber did hit a jumbo minnow, but eel was a waste of time this day. Also, more pics. I know some of the pics showing my scale readings are LESS than i post sometimes, but they have to be re-set (zero'd without the fish's weight on them)every minute or so which is almost impossible to keep doing before the fish dies, while in a hurry, etc. etc. I need some better ones,but until i get some, we'll try to get the pics taken a little quicker......

Attached Files:

3. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    congrats Randy on a beautiful fish. sounds like all of you had a good time and ya stayed warm with the fire.

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Great fish!

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on a great fish and what sounds like an excellent family outing. Good luck in the future and thanks for sharing

6. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Where were you fishing, I'd like to find a good night bank fishing spot.
    great catches.
    david

7. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Nice fish bro!:eek:oooh: I give ya bonus points for gettin it from the bank.:cool2:

8. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Thats great nothing better than a pole doubled over and a big cat riping line off.Nice fish

9. freshbaitrules

freshbaitrules New Member

State:
    virginia
    Way to go Randy, getting one for the little guy is admirable, good dad, good fish carma. Get him hooked, that is what I try to do with my son.
    Stay in touch.

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Randy, congratulations on the new PB Blue:cool2:. Sounds like a fun family trip as well:big_smile:.

11. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    THats a huge fish, Congrats Randy

12. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Congrats Randy on a nice Blue !!! :cool2:

13. 66TBONE

66TBONE New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Nice job Randy! Great pics! Good report!

14. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I want one !!!!!

Great report and blue...congrats.

-Jim-

15. mbandjb

mbandjb New Member

State:
    Central Va
    Good Job Randy,,
    Good fish for you and your family!!
    mikeb

16. Hummers4

Hummers4 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Randy, Congrats on the monster Blue! More importantly, I applaud you for your focus on including your son. I struggle with that and often leave my Jake (11) at home so I can selfishly fish solo. Thanks for setting the example and giving me incentive to include my son on the next trip!

17. riverhobo85

riverhobo85 New Member

State:
    VA
    congrats on the new pb. welcome to the 50 lb club. thanks for the great report

18. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Congrats on your new PB way to go Bro:006:

19. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    RIGHT ON BUEATIFUL......nice catch!:cool2:

20. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Randy,

Nice catch there and it looks like you had a great outing with the family keep up the good fishing