50hp mercury

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by wade, Mar 15, 2006.

1. wade

wade New Member

State:
    GA.
    My uncle has 50hp mercury, it's between an 80-and an 85. It idles good and runs good in the yard with the ear muffs , but when you put it in the water it only runs about 2 miles an hour wide open. We replaced the power pack and all the coils and the trigger and it still doesn't run right. Any help will be appreciated.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Get the serial number and post it and I'll give you the age.

Do a compression check and post it for me.

The next time you put it in the water try squeezing the primmer bulb and see if it helps any or try mixing some gas and put it in a squirt bottle and spray it in the carb OR try choking it.
    It could be fouled carbs. Never throw parts at one without trouble shooting first. That can get very expensive

3. wade

wade New Member

State:
    GA.
    Bubbakat, the serial number is 6450642. The parts that we changed out needed to be changed. The motor run fine right after he bought it ,but it would take 2 or 3 min. before it would run wide open it seemed to me that it might have had trash in the carborators, but now in the yard it will rev up but it won't go more than about 2mph. on the water. Thanks for any help you can give.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I am assuming that is a 2 cylinder.

If it is then this is the year 50 6448808 - 6586623 1984
    Just because one runs on the muffs in the yard the real test is when you put that motor under water pressure.
    It sure sounds like the carbs are either dirty or way out of adjustment.

Most all of those old mercs had to be warmed up before they would run right.