5000 dollar catfish boat?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by BenNewt, Sep 11, 2009.

1. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I want to buy a catfish boat for next spring. The body of water that I fish is a medium sized river with tons of logs and shallow areas. I'm thinking of buying a used 16' jon boat with a prop tunnel and a 25 horse or so motor. I have around 5K to spend, so I need to buy a used rig.

If you were in my position, what kind of set up would you buy?

2. KSEAMON

KSEAMON New Member

State:
    PERRY, GA
    Ben, I have had 6 boats, on my 7th now. I love this one... 16 ft Grumman stick steering, fish finder front and rear, 40 hp Johnson trim and tilt with Mac River Runner Prop Guard ( a MUST ). I fish mostly 2 rivers here in GA. They are narrow and shallow (1.5 ft to 6 ft). The only thing i would change would be go to maybe a 25 hp. Would'nt do the tunnel, heard horror stories about motor not getting enough water at times. to me stick steering is the way to go on small rivers, but it also does real well on larger rivers and lakes. Just my thoughts....

3. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Ive got a 14' roughneck with a 20 hp jet outboard..You can get through some skinny water with it.:wink:

4. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    With the economy being what it is, 5 grand can get you pretty well set up. You may have to travel a little bit, but cash talks and BS walks. I've seen some good set ups advertised on here. Just take your time and look around and you'll find a boat to suit your needs. Remember winter mos. will bring you a larger variety to choose from. Stay safe and good luck!!!:wink:

5. BenNewt

BenNewt New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Excellent tips. I assume by stic steering you mean tiller...

6. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    stic steering does not mean tiller, google it.

7. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I agree with an earlier post, $5,000 will get you a nice set up.
    I check Craigslist all the time just to see what boats are selling and selling for what price. If you haven't ever checked Craigslist in your area, you ought to start looking daily.
    With $5,000, you might even find a nice boat for $4,000 and spend the rest on rigging it out with rod holders, trolling motor..etc. Those expenses will add up quickly. I put about $1,500 in mine real quick with trolling motor, GPS Depthfinder and 14 rod holders.
    Good luck.
    Post pics of your boat when you get it.

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    In today's economy, for 5K you can get two boats, or a boat and a truck to pull it with!!!!

Bill in SC

9. foghorn

foghorn New Member

State:
    Wagoner Ok
    Stick steering is throtle control on one side and a tall stick on the other side for steering. With the stick steering you have a very quick response in case of having to dodge a log or any other obstacle. Just make sure all passengers stay seated as you can very easily throw them out. I used to have a stick steer bass boat years ago with a loop charged 50 hp johnson. That stick saved my butt several times. With a stick it turns as fast as a gokart wheel can turn.

Foggy :cool2:

10. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I agree with ccat. Take your time and check Craigslist. Even if you have to drive to another state it may be worth it.

11. moondog58

moondog58 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Good luck in finding a boat. 5g should get you pretty well set up. I agree with ccat, buy a boat for 3500 or 4000 and use the rest for getting things set up.

Remember BOAT = Bail Out Another Thousand!!!!

12. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    As most have already said you can get a real decent used boat for 5 grand right now,take your time and look around for exactly what you want,from your desciption of your river a jet drive outboard might be the way to go and I would go with a 18 footer,as they seem to shrink on the water,extra room is always welcome and will feel better if you decide to fish some bigger lakes/rivers now and then. I too would spend 3500 to 4000 on the original rig then use the extra money for whatever upgrades you mght want to add,livewell,baitwell,electronics,rod holders,new seats,new safety equipment.

13. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I had a 16 48 alumacraft 98 25hp merc, stick steer. Awesome for small cluttered rivers. When your sitting in the front of the boat you can see things in the water before it's too late. I gave $1600 for mine trolling motor, fish finder and the late model motor. Be patient and you'll find a good deal.