500 spool swap

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by cathouse, Apr 27, 2007.

1. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Hello all and thanks in advance , i recently acquired a penn 500 with the plastic spool . What i was wondering is if it is possible to just switch and put in a metal spool . And if someone could please tell me the difference in the 500 models .

2. dex

dex New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yes, you can swap a plastic spool for a metal one look on ebay for a spool look for either the #250 or 500 either would work. The difference in 500's well I will try. The 501 is a narrow version of the 500, 505 is a high speed 5:1 gear ratio compared to the 500's 4:1 and has ball bearings the 506 is a narrow version of the 505 as for the 500s I don't know the difference myself. hope this helps

3. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
  4. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    Ok here we go again and thanks in advace . Do to circumstances totally due to my own clumsyness i now need a spool for this reel since i no longer have a spool (in one piece) .Now ive been advised that the plastic spool would have casted better had it survived me . I have already ordered a new plastic spool but keeping me in mind i think it might not be to bad to have a metal spool near by .Now with that said how much of a loss of distance on average will i see in metal vs. plastic spools also keeping in mind i have yet to master the whole thumbing thing yet . Thanks and i await the knowledge of the brotherhood .