Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

· Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you ran across a book "50 years on the kaw" ? it was written by a guy in Lawrence a few years back. I'd like to see a copy, its supposted to have lots about flatheads in the Kaw

· Registered
241 Posts
That sounds interesting, I would enjoy reading something like that as well, even though I have never fished the Kaw, info on Flatheads in rivers is pretty much universal.

· Banned
1,744 Posts
There are no copies available from the big internet book sources, but the Topeka and Shawnee County Public Library has a copy. Published in 1994 and the correct title is "60 years on the Kaw River". Call number for the library is 978.13 BUR. Man I love the internet.

· Registered
716 Posts
as someone that once worked in a library I know this to be true. Go you YOUR library, and find the interlibrary loan department. You can then ask them to ask the topeka library to borrow this book. This library will send it too yours, and you can then check it out. You only get it for a very limited time, 10 days I think, but still, its a free service, and it will get the book into your hands. Should be very easy since you now have the reference number and know where to tell your library to find it. If you have any trouble, just let me know. I have several connections to the Topeka library I can use to make it go smoothly.

· Registered
3,248 Posts
Tom Finch (Warcraft75) claims to have several copies. Getting one from him is another story. Ive been trying for years. One thing is for sure though, if I ever stumble across a copy, Ill share it with my Kansas brothers.

· Registered
2,137 Posts
Last I checked the Topeka and Shawnee Co Lib. did not loan out the book out and it did not check it out, I was told the reason being is that thay had several copies and they had lost most of them. I know that the KU Lib is the same way. I like Keith have been looking for the book for several years I have also put in work at book stores in the area to track one down for me but so far no luck I do know they are gold when you get one, the print run was very low on the book.

· Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, was just trying to get a little info on flatheads, knowlege is money in the bank when fishing, it gets a lot easer when you know what your doing :glasses-nerdy:

· Registered
1,262 Posts
Ned Kedhe wrote an article about the book about three years back that was published
by In-Fisherman. You might ask them folks up in Brainard, MN if you could buy the back
issue that had his article in it. Ned works with the KU Library, so you might look him up
too. I imagine he would be a pleasant fellow to talk with considering his narrative voice.
He has read the whole book with great interest from both a technical and historical
perspective. Mr. Kedhe is not only an accomplished writer, he is an avid fisherman for
several different species of fish here in Kansas.

· Registered
241 Posts
Went to my local library to see if it could be found somewhere that would loan it out still, hoping a copy turns up, if one does I will let everyone know

· Registered
55 Posts
Tom Finch (Warcraft75) claims to have several copies. Getting one from him is another story. Ive been trying for years. One thing is for sure though, if I ever stumble across a copy, Ill share it with my Kansas brothers.
i posted a pic on this page for ya ......not only does he have them he gave me one tonight me and him happen to be looking at this so i thought i would share...hes hard to get to know but hes a hell of a fisherman and knows the river well...he collects all kinds of neat river stuff

· Registered
1,718 Posts
I tried to get one from my library a couple years ago and they couldn't find one. What someone needs to do is find out who has the rights to the book and try to buy it from them. Then try to get it published again. You wouldn't get rich but you might break even.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.