50 year old Flathead Virgin

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Backlashed, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Well I'm not really a virgin, I've caught several under 10 Lbs. but I want some good ol BIG ones.
    I've spent my whole life chasing Bass, n Walleye, n Crappie, and I'm pretty successful at it, but I'm ready to slow down and trophy hunt.
    I fish El Dorado, and I know theres monster Flathead in there, and I have the equipment, and boat and patients to get them. I just need someone to point me in the right direction.
    How do you recognize good Flathead water? and
    When is the best time of year for BIG fish? I assume spring?,.. spawn?...Night?

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    El Dorado is a great place for nice flatheads.Your best bet is probably below the dam pre spawn.The lake is a pretty good place but probably a lot slower on rod and reel.Any place that has cover and access to food is likely to hold a flathead, lake or river.Dont under estimate daytime flatties.Think deep during the day and shallower at night.

3. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Ray---You and I are tied on the big flats. At 50 you are still a pup, so mind your elders, and let me get the first one!!

4. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    You better hurry up then old timer,...cuz soon as I can get my fat ass up away from this computer I'm gonna hit it hard...well maybe.....after supper....well,.. this weekend looks nice. :wink:

5. Bullfoot

Bullfoot New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey buddy im itchin for a flattie myself.. but ive always been told that the magic water temp for flats is 50f . whats the water temp there? But if you are like me i think 45f sounds good !:wink:

6. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    The KWDP site says 35, but I think its a little warmer than that.
    I'm having withdrawal pains so bad, I went out and just set in my boat for an hour this evening. It wasn't bad until I caught myself going vroom, vroom.:crazy:

7. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Vroom--vroom aint bad, just don't use the net. That worried my neighbors some!

8. Midwest Drifter

Midwest Drifter New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Yea nice out today. bite us in the butt tomarrow

9. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Mark, are you REALLY as old as you look in your pic? GEEZ:roll_eyes:

10. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Thanks Jim!! I feel much better now. Just remember----It aint the years, it's the miles!!

11. buzzjd

buzzjd New Member

State:
    Kansas
    You are NOT the only one==LOL