50 pound scale reading over 50?

Discussion in 'Fishing Weighing Scales' started by Monsterkat11, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    posted this on another forum with zero luck.

while messing with my scale the other day (50lb capacity) i noticed i could pull more than 50 pounds on it, and it was registering. i think i pulled 73 pounds at most (thats all my fingers could handle :( ) anyway, my question is, will this read over 50 on a fish, and if so, how accurately?

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I think when it reads over 50 it will still be accurate. Mine does the same thing but I never put that much on it to check.

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I have heard of some scales also reading over their "max". I have no clue if it would be accurate. Best bet would be to get with someone and compare weights of various objects over 50 lbs. That is strange though

4. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    once you get over the capacity you are risking permanatley damaging the scale. Also most any measurement device starts to become inaccurate when you are out of its range.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Needing a scale (often) that weighs over 50 # would be a good problem to have, if weighing fish caught.:wink:

6. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    the flat in my avitar was 51.9 lbs on a 50 lb. scale!! always wondered if i got ripped a few pounds because of this but i have checked it with other scales since and its right on!!

7. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Mine does the same..thanks for asking..now we sorta know lol

8. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Mine does the same..thanks for asking, now I know I am not the only one that this has happen too!. :wink: I beleive they should be accurate because its reading a digital total(no needles) to worry about. On mine anyway.

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I've tested a 50lb Rapala scale to about 62lbs, and it was still accurate. I'm sure there is a limit there somewhere though where it will start to under report the weight.

10. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i was joking with my friend because he pulled on his scale and he bent the hook and i said maybe the 50 pound limit is for the hook haha

11. shadowman

shadowman New Member

State:
    nc
    yea mine does the same thing! i have some weights outside that i put on there and it seemed pretty accurate.

12. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    What brand scale was it?

13. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It should if the fish is wore out good enough and doesnt move around a lot.

14. Monsterkat11

Monsterkat11 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i think mine is the white rapala digital scale

15. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i'd love to test my scale over 50#'s on a flatty, hope i get to test it out one day!:wink:

16. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Actually, the hook and chain are probably part of the weight factor for the scales to begin with. Along with what others have stated, it probably has no limit on it's digital read-out, but you risk breaking something internally.

Think about it, the circut board has no idea what #50lbs feels like.:big_smile:

17. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    The problem with overloading a scale is that at some point the load cell inside the scale can be damaged. Most of these scale automatically re-zero themselves when they are turned on up to the point that the load cell has been deflected out of shape. When that happens the scale can no longer be zeroed accuratly and will start showing the weight incorrectly.

18. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    I had one of these as a back up and broke my berkley scale when the fish kicked, so I pulled it out and weighed the fish with it. when it got 10 lbs over (60 lbs) the needle dug into the paper background and hung for a minute and then let go. I called the fish 60 lbs but was probably bigger.
    I have the electro sampson now....I'll let you know if it last.

Attached Files: