50 mercury spitting water and steam

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by jgdishon, Aug 14, 2006.

1. jgdishon

jgdishon New Member

State:
    Snowville,Virgi
    I had a full pressure stream of water until impeler sheared the tips off. Had local marina replace impeler now I have very little water and alot of steam. I have taking it back twice and the say it is ok that it is pumping enough water. They took it out for a mile trip with a heat gauge on it and said it ran 140 degrees constant temp and this was a good reading. I think they are full of it. Should it blow steam out intermitently?

2. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Don't know what year your motor is, but my 50 Mercury did the same thing-------I just replaced the water pump and it works fine now. Good Luck!! Randy

3. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    It should have a stream of water coming out of it.

4. jgdishon

jgdishon New Member

State:
    Snowville,Virgi
    it did have the steady stream. How hard is it to change the pump. I think I will do it myself this time.

5. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Its not hard at all a few bolts and you remove the lower unit and there is the water pump nie and easy to get to replace the whole water pump you will be money ahead in the long run.

6. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey I forgot to put my year model in-----Mine is a 1984 too. Yea change the impeller(?) case too, not just the impeller. I have a neighbor that changed mine, so It was not Hard For Me------LOL. Good Luck!! Randy

7. jgdishon

jgdishon New Member

State:
    Snowville,Virgi
    Can I borrow him for a while? LOL

8. jgdishon

jgdishon New Member

State:
    Snowville,Virgi
    Nice page you set up to remember your dad!

9. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    mine still spits water steady stream but i know it needs a new pump after this year it's ate sand mud and some rocks... dang water was too low for me to get the deep V through in certain spots.

10. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    If you do decide to do it yourself, be sure to drain the lower unit. Otherwise one heck of a mess.

A marina around here does it for 52 bucks. Labor, impellar and new lower unit oil

11. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    To change the water pump and impeller you shouldn't even have to bother the lower unit oil.
    My first question. When it broke the impeller did they find the part that broke off. If the didn't and it is stuck up inside the head that would explain the spitting of water and steam.
    Changing the water pump isn't much of a job but you need to go to the library or buy you a Manuel for your motor. The reference in it is well worth the bucks. The local library usually has one and will let you copy the pages.

You can also go to a marine shop and buy you a temp stick and check to see if the engine is as hot as you think it is.

12. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    Thanks I havnt had any time to update it for a while but I will soon. I have a lot of pics of him.

13. jgdishon

jgdishon New Member

State:
    Snowville,Virgi
    thats sounds like good advise.

14. jgdishon

jgdishon New Member

State:
    Snowville,Virgi
    I did get several pieces out of the vent at the bottom of the engine before I took it to them. He gave me the old impeller with the sheared off teeth but no other pieces. Im off the next two days so im going to pull the lower unit and see if i can see anything. I was told to make sure I had the trans all the way forword before I start and the cables should not get mixed up when i put it back together.

15. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you think you will mix the cables do as I do when wiring something. I take a piece of surgical tape and mark it on the cable some where.

When you get the lower unit off take you a water hose and put it on the end of the pipe that goes up thru the engine and turn the water to it. See how good it flows then. If it does have a piece of the impeller in it it should spit some and flow some. If it does have some in it you will have to pull that head off the one where the plugs are screwed into it and clean it out . The only biggie to that is making sure you ease those bolts out and not try to yank them out, So an air impact is out of the question here.:tounge_out:

16. jgdishon

jgdishon New Member

State:
    Snowville,Virgi
    I pulled the lower unit and took the top off the pump. The impeller was ok but the housing itself looked to have been real hot at some time, and was melted around were the shaft comes out the topof it. The gasket on top of the bottom housing was full of cracks and brakes and the housing also has been hot. So I think it would be to my advantage to change it all out.

17. Mutt

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    And you took this in to begin with? and they didnt advise you it needed replacing? I would never take another item back to that place again. Infact I would contact them and see if they are going to pop for at least part of the new pump assembly. When you put the new pump housing in replace the impeller too do not skimp that is the life of your engine. At least you know what your problem is with it.

18. jgdishon

jgdishon New Member

State:
    Snowville,Virgi
    Im following your direction Mutt. Im going by the marina today to see if I can get my money back. The new pump kit comes with a new impeller houseing and all the gaskets and O-rings

19. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    When you slide that impeller cup down on the impeller wet the inside of the cup with dishwashing liquid and while turning the shaft clockwise push down on the cup and it should go right on. Don't worry about turning the tines the wrong way because when you start the engine it will right them. If you turn the shaft clock wise they will be turned the right way.

20. jgdishon

jgdishon New Member

State:
    Snowville,Virgi
    My luck goes from Bad to Worse! I finally got the new water pump and installed it, then put the lower unit back on, then rung the trim tab threads out! Darn I just cant get a brake. I didnt turn that bolt very hard. :sad2: