50 HP on a Deck boat

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by glenc, Aug 22, 2006.

1. glenc

glenc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    After taking my boat out for the first time I realized some things......

1. I love fishing from a boat.....lol

2. I am a fat a$$ :)

3. I am going to need a bigger boat. Found that mine is too narrow for me and unstable

So I can do one of 2 things.....

1. sell my boat and look for another wider boat

2. purchase a deck boat from my cousin (without a motor) and put my 50hp on it. But would the 50 hp be big enough?

Thanks in advance

Glen

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Who was the maker of the deck boat? The website should have the info your looking for as to mininum and maximum power ratings

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Depending upon the size of the deck boat, your not going to ski with a 50HP. But if your wanting to get from point A to point B, and look like a cat fisherman instead of a bass fisherman, a 50 should push the boat. Probably be best to just put the deck boat in the water, leave it tied to the trailer, and get out on the water in the boat. See how it feels. It may still be a little tipsy. You just gotta go with your gut feeling. If it is a little antsy, it is still all right, just don't go out when the waves are breaking. LOL

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I get asked questions like that all the time, and instead of guessing, I just say, "What are you talking about?"

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Glen some where on that boat is a tag that gives max h/p rating for that boat. To operate said boat in an efficient manner you need to have at least 70% of tho max h/p rating.

6. glenc

glenc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well its all for not now anyway. Just talked to my cousin and he sold the boat yesterday. I had told him not to hold it for me because I wasnt sure about getting it. So I guess option #1 is the way to go.

The boat is officially for sale if anyone is interested ;-)

Glen