50 HP Nissan Impeller R&R

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by fish, Oct 9, 2006.

1. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Bubba and Bob, I started a new thread so I wouldn't be hijacking someone's thread. I decided to jump into trying to change out my impeller. So far so good. It came apart and I have the impeller out and didn't run into any problems, yet. I have some pictures of how it all looks and am posting them below. The impeller is very flexible and there are no wear marks in the cup or on the impeller. I will replace it all the same as it has never been changed since I have owned the motor.

After the impeller is back in, I will clean my carbs, dump the old gas and see what happens.

Here are the pictures

Attached Files:

2. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Next three pictures are

Impeller housing in tact

Pump housing

housing removed

Attached Files:

3. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    The next three are

Impeller still in cup

Impeller cup

Impeller wear

Attached Files:

4. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    The next three are showing how flexible the impeller still is

Attached Files:

5. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    This is an area that I am in question about. It looks like some plastic has melted from some where and is blocking a water channel. I am not sure it is supposed to be like that or not. What do you think?

I really do appreciate any help you can give me on this. Thanks a bunch Bob and Bubba.

Attached Files:

6. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Jim, what year model is your motor? I have a 50 HP Nissan also and have never changed the impeller. Mine is a 2001 model bought new in 2002. I am going to save the pics you posted as future reference. Thank you for the helpful information! I'll follow this thread to see what the experts have to say.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Jim Now Judy is getting quit handy with the tools.:lol: Man that is amazing how clean that is in there after running for nine years. It is amazing how flexible it is but change it any ways. For peace of mind. Jim I think what you are pointing at is unburned hardened fuel. Now how it got there I have no idea.
    Now correct me if I am wrong here but is that the cavity that the impeller sets in or is that the upper part of the leg. If it is from below then it could be from something it picked up from the water while running.

Scratch that out and smell of it and look at it under a magnifying Glass to see if you can id it.

I know its a little costly but I would replace the whole pump to be on the safe side. I know I will think of more to say here and will add later. Thanks for the pictures it helps to see what a person is describing. You did good Jim.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Great job there Jim and I know it will help out a lot of people.
    Joe sounds like your is about time to change also LOL
    Pete

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Jim, ya done good:lol: That impellor is really in good shape.

I wanted to take a picture of the 40 hp Nissan impellor I replaced, but the guy took it with him to show the people that fund the search and rescue boat it was from. It only had 1 partial fin left and the rest were just nubs, with small pieces left in the housing.

I can't tell what that stuff is your pointing to, but it does look like exhaust carbon.

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn

Bobpaul I bet that boat was one of those that believe in starting the motor to make sure it will start before putting it in the water.
    Those guys can't figure out why there water pumps keep going out. LOL
    Pete

11. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Joe, this is a 1994 model. I picked up the impeller today and they said they couldn't get the housing because they had been discontinued and also the impellers, they only had 8 more in stock and when they were gone they couldn't get any more. What kind of deal is that. Maybe they were just telling me that so they could jack the price up on the impeller. It had more than doubled in price in about three weeks when I called and asked about them. $29 and some change, I thought that was a little high for an impeller but what could I do. Joe maybe you will have better luck with the cost than I did.

Bob and Bubba, I think you are right, it does look like exhaust carbon build up. I will check it out closer tomorrow when I get back on it. I had planned to change all of the pump out but that didn't happen as I can't get the housing now. They didn't even ask me the year of the motor. Is Nissan going out of business, I sure hope not.

Bob, it is a wonder that that guy you replaced his impeller for didn't lock the motor up with it in that bad a shape. It couldn't have been pumping water like that.

12. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Willard, I forgot to answer your question about what part the mystery stuff was in. It was in the top part of the pump housing that the impeller cup sits in.

I have another question, I know it was explained in one of your other threads but I cannot get that page to load right now for some reason. If I were to hold the impeller cup in my left hand and I put the impeller into the cup, do I twist the impeller counter clockwise or clockwise? I think I twist the impeller counter clockwise into the cup, but I am not positive.

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Jim Twist the drive shaft clockwise and it should be a go but if you went the other way don't worry about it it will right itself as soon as the engine turns over.

Jim those guys must be going out of business because there are way to many of those motors still in use. I am sure sierra has them out on the market now. I'll search this and find out.

14. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Jim, put the impellor on the shaft with the key, then put the cup in the housing, slide the housing down over the impellor and twist the driveshaft clockwise as you force the housing down over the impellor. A light smear of grease in the cup helps.

Nissan/Tohatsu are the second largest selling motors in the world. They ain't going out of business any time soon. My boss is in the process of getting a Tohatsu dealership. He's looking for it to happen towards the end of the year.

I might be going to a school in Dallas Texas shortly after the first of the year for the 4 stroke injected models.

15. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Willard and Bob, thank you a bunch. I am fixing to get back out there on the motor and I was really concerned about the impeller being on worng. I didn't know that it would correct itself like that.

I wonder what the deal was with this boat supply telling me that they couldn't get any more Nissan parts. Maybe they just didn't want to fool with it. I am tickled to know they are not going out of business, Nissan is a good motor IMO.

Thanks again my friends.

16. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I'm curious. I have heard and read that the water pump should be changed every year or two but having seen impellers that are 8-10 years old with very little wear makes me wonder why. I understand that a little preventative maintenance goes a long ways! I guess it's kind of like motor oil in your vehicle. Suggestions are that the oil should be changed every 3,000 miles but IMO, that is more often than necessary. Just as oil is the lifeblood of the vehicle, water is the lifeblood of the outboard. I just wonder if every two years is too often on the water pump?

I guess $20-30 every other year for peace of mind is not that much to ask.

Thanks for all of the information here! It will come in handy when I start working on mine.

I agree with Jim, Nissans are great motors. Mine tends to be a bit cold natured, but I love it!

17. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Now Bob will you be my inside connection on getting me a good deal on a 60 h/p sometimes next year. I want one for my toon.:big_smile: :big_smile:

18. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Joe it is unusual for an impeller to make it past Five years. You can be a long way from the ramp when those things go south on you and then it is human nature to limp it back to the dock. After that you have a engine with a lot of premature wear or total destruction.

I change my water impeller on my boat that runs the river every other summer. The whole water pump every two years because of the grit and grime that is forced through it.

If I am running the lake only and it is cleaner water I might go 3 years before changing and even then I get nervous after the second summer.

30 to 70 bucks is a small price compared to peace of mind and a power head.

19. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS

Further curiosity: What does the impeller look like after two-to-three years? Do you notice a decrease in water stream from the engine after a year or two?

20. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Joe, you will be happy to know that the motor went back together easy so you know if I can do it you sure can. I know I was really taking a chance by not changing out my water pump and it is unusual that it was in as good a shape as it was after 9 or so years but I didn't use the boat that much and when I was on the water I didn't go far at all. I would say in the 9 or so years that I have owned the motor, I have used it no more than maybe 15-20 times tops, that may account for the impeller not being as worn as was expected. I have never noticed any difference in the spit, it has always been strong.