50 hp mercury waterpump Help

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by wvcatfishhunter, Apr 20, 2008.

1. wvcatfishhunter

wvcatfishhunter New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I am about to buy a 50 hp mercury and the boat has set for a few years. started up great cleaned everything and put oil in the cylinders before i started it just incase there was rust or something. Just a quick shot of wd 40. anyways the engine runs great but the water pump doesnt seem to be working. I've looked on ebay and everyplace I can think of and nothing matches up. I took the serial number off the front on the mounting plate it says 4144978 can anyone point me in the right direction where to find the kit? or is that the wrong number? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Willard (bubbakat) sent me to http://www.marineengine.com to get part i needed. real cheap. there's a number on there in the contact them info that you can call and talk to the parts man. i'm sure they can help you.
    gary

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Check your friendly Auto Zone, NAPA, O'Reilley's, etc. for marine parts. They generally have next day service, and if they have to get the parts from the warehouse, it takes 3 days. On many items they are substantially cheaper than marina's.

4. wvcatfishhunter

State:
    West Virginia
    I've emailed several dealers so we'll see if the number I have are right. From what i can tell this boat hasnt been on the water since 2002. Some guy owned it and took excellent care of it . a guy here bought it last year as the older gentleman had 2 strokes and could no longer use it so it sat at his house. I drove by and saw it and asked about it. really surprised me that it fired right up . I figured it was going to be a bear. other than the water pump the steering is locked. I cannot find any grease plugs on it. I've looked at the bar below the engine and no plugs at all. anyone have a idea of where to look for a plug to grease it?

5. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    No way to grease that bar, unless you add the nut with the fitting in it.

The steering rod needs removed from the tube and the tube reamed out.

Start by disassembling your steering link to the motor from the end of the steering cable, Grab the end of the steering cable with vise grips, at the very end, beyond the crimp. Start moving the vise grips back and forth, while someone else turns the steering wheel, left and right.

The cable should start to move in the tube. Lube with a penetrating oil, and keep moving it in and out until it feels fairly free. Then take it out all the way out, ream the tube, clean and lube the seering cable end, and reassemble.

You can ream out the tube with a 12 ga bore brush and a section of cleaning rod in a drill.

6. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
  7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Alright that motor if I am reading those numbers correctly would be a 1975 4 cylinder merc most likely a thunderbolt.
    Guys it helps if you put all the info you can read on the motors. They made several verisons in the same year.

The water pump complete is parts number 18-3323 for 59.85 and shipping.

The repair kit is parts number 18-3207 12.33 plus shipping.
    Now keep in mind that that engine has sat awhile so I am almost certain that the carbs will have to be rebuilt, Yea I know it starts but that doesn't get it under a load and in the water under pressure. Get the whole kit because when you distrub those seald after it setting for awhile its not gonna prime back up to specks when just the impeller is replaced.
    You can get all the parts from andrew at http://www.marineengine.com/ and no I don't own any thing there I just do business with him.

8. wvcatfishhunter

State:
    West Virginia
    what carb kit do I need to get for this as well?

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The number for that carb is 18-7013 this kit should fit the AJ-KA--KB-KC-KD-Carbs. This is the side bowel carb