50 HP Mercury '69 model

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by dominoman, Dec 17, 2007.

1. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    I've got a 1969 Mercury 50 HP that won't turn over when I hit the key switch. Put in a new switch, checked the cables, they appear to be good to the motor. Battery is hot, I can use jumper cables and go direct to the starter and it spins great. When I turn the key, it just clicks like a low battery. Any suggestions.

Some of the wires in the cable are losing insulation (cracking) but checking with ohm meter doesn't appear to have any shorts.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you can jump it across the solenoid switch and it works it most likely is the solenoid switch. If and when you replace it be sure to use a marine solenoid because they are grounded internally to prevent sparking under the cowling.
    You can use a ohm meter to test the amp or voltage reaching the s terminal on the solenoid. It has to receive at least 9 volts while cranking in order to activate it. All of them I have found acting like yours is bad.

3. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Got the new solenoid in, cranks like a bandit, can't tell if I'm getting fire. This motor has set up for a while. Going thru the manual in a little while to see if there's something I'm missing.

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    seliond should fix the first problem take a plug out put the wire on crank it over and see if you get spark

5. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I was given a old 1968 Kinzie Craft that had a 1968 Mercury motor that hadn't been run for about 10-15 years.

To my surprise the motor started right off and ran fine.

My problem started when I disturbed the wiring on the motor while replacing the cables for the throttle and gear shift.

The wire insulation started falling off the wires like snow! I tried to tape the wires, but just made it worse and in the end I shorted out some motor electrical parts!

If you get your motor running you might want to think about buying a new motor wiring harness! Most used ones are junk!

Bill

6. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Got a little time this weekend, getting fire to all plugs. One other question, are you suppose to be able to get the carbs off to clean/repair. My hands won't fit where it's necessary to get the nuts off that hold them in place. Have ordered some electrical pieces that need replacing. I'll wait till it comes in to see about getting the carbs off and cleaned.

7. fishnohio

fishnohio New Member

State:
    Middletown,Ohio
  8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Lonnie you have to take the whole support system off the front in order to access thise carbs. That is why most tech won't work on those old engines because it takes to long to get to the parts to fix them but it can be done.

9. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Bubbakat, Got the front dismantled, got the carbs off, cleaned them as best I could. The needle valve screw will not turn, don't know if someone put loctite on them or what. Both carbs look fairly clean, can blow air thru the holes and nothing gooey came out. Here's some photos of the carbs with the numbers on the side.

Attached Files:

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You are talking about the one the needle sets in under the float right.

If you aren't going to soak them then go to wally world and get some break cleaner the cheapest you can find and squirt it through the holes and crevesis.
    Those floats have a spring that comes out of the top of them, by no means try to adjust that spring. I 'll get you the picture of the float and how to set it. You want to make sure the bowl which the float sets in is real clean and the jet in the bottom has no trash what so ever in it.

If those needles look bad on the end let me know I most likely have a couple in my stash that I'll send yea.

11. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Any good ideas in what to soak them in, there is a little gum in the bottom of the bowls, under the floats. Got some brake cleaner, may need to let them soak some more. I'd just as soon do this only once, they are a bear to get off.

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    They have a gal of carb soak at the parts store. It has the little basket with it. If there is gum in the bottom of the bowl then there is gim in the rest of the carb. Those will need to be soaked and blown out. One little spot of that stuff will make that carb perform off key.
    Did you order new gaskets and needle and seats for it.

13. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    I just got the carbs off yesterday afternoon. have not ordered any parts. Not real sure how to get those needles to turn, they are tight.

14. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I may be missing something here, Just where are the needles located you are talking about.

15. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    I'll go take some photos and put them up in just a minute

16. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Willard here's the screws I can't get to turn, maybe my terms are not exactly correct when I say needles.

Attached Files:

17. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
  18. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You posted back quicker then I did. Those are some good clear pictures. You can soak them with some break cleaner squirted in them or you can soak those screws with some PB blaster. It takes a good screw driver to get them out but that is a specfic area that needs to be thourghly cleaned.

19. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    Willard, I have those pages printed, basically I can't get any of the screws to turn, the only one I could get out was the hex head plug.

20. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    OK we'll go back to soaking and then try again. Thanks for all the help and advice.:big_smile: