50 hp merc another question

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by wvcatfishhunter, Apr 23, 2008.

1. wvcatfishhunter

wvcatfishhunter New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I'm a novice when it comes to engine work. How hard is it to change a water pump? should I buy one of the repair manuals on ebay?
    and if I do how hard is it to change? There isnt anyone local within a 90 min drive that could do it here in west virginia

2. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Mark, I changed the water pump on a 50 merc motor two years ago and it wasn't very hard. However, prior to doing anything I went to our local library and read up on how to change the impeller.

If i remember correctly, the motor needed to be in forward....or maybe not be in gear at all....for the shift rod to be easily replaced when the lower unit is rejoined to the upper body.:crazy:

You can see by my above misinformation that reading a manual is important!! The actual work is easy...if you know what to do!:smile2:

Bubba, or someone else, who knows what to do will most likely give you some good advice!

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I'd just about guess there is someone within a foot of your nose who can do that, and your nose is a lot closer than 90 miles.

4. wvcatfishhunter

wvcatfishhunter New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I've asked around and called the local mechanics. closest place for me to goto is charleston and thats 90 minutes away

5. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ha, now thats funny... I just put one on mine today! I got a "kit" which includes the housing, gaskets seals etc.- everything you need to "do it right" I was just gonna replace the impeller but after I got it apart... the pump cover and face plate was shot.
    I have a CLYMER shop manual and it is only easily understood by the jackass that wrote it (I hope CLYMER fired that moron!)
    anyways- I suppose it's better N nothin' at all and it's good to have but will leave you up in the air about some question... and this is where you need a decent mechanical aptitude or you probably will get into some trouble.

6. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    And Bill, it's gotta be in neutral at the shifter and the gear housing so the splines line-up.
    I also had to hold the gear housing with one hand then reach up and turn the flywheel with the other to get the driveshaft splines to line up... just ONE of the things they don't talk about in books.....