50 hp Evinrude with bent skeg

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by TDawgNOk, Sep 27, 2006.

1. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Ok guys,

Can a cast skeg be heated and straightened??

If not, what is the best way to fix a bent skeg?

Someone told me that you can cut off the old one, and bolt on an aftermarket replacement, is this true and if so where do I find one?

2. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    More motor troubles, Tony? Or is it the same one?
    You gotta get a different motor/boat!! LOL

3. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Good question as I have the same problem too. Boat's always wanting to go left. Can somebody help out?

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I wouldn't try bending it - it's made from aluminum and will probably break.

Replacement skegs are available and can be welded on by a good machine shop, preferably with a heliarc welder. Basically, you pull the lower unit, drain the gear oil and replace it with water to protect from the heat of welding. Then cut off the old skeg near the housing in a zig-zag pattern and weld the new one in its place - most of the labor is in matching the old and new parts properly prior to welding.

http://www.baymfg.com/repskegs.asp
    http://www.iboats.com/products/7/2518_t_h_replacement_skeg.html

There's a ridiculously expensive item called a "Skeggard" that is supposed to slip over a broken skeg and bolt into place. But it's over $100 when the replacement skegs listed above are about $15.

http://www.skeggardmarine.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=SS

Personally, I'd just advise finding a local marine repair shop that can do the work for you and let them take care of it.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    They can be heated and straightened but this is not a job for the DIY man unless you are familiar with cast aluminum. They can be cut off and a new one welded on or you can buy the bolt on kind.
    I would pull that lower unit and take it to a good welding shop that works with aluminum and let them fix it. As for buying a new one I will have to check and see where it is available. Now what motor or lower unit am I suppose to look for.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Oh BTW you can operate that motor with a bent skag without and ill effects to the operation and handling. It just looks ugly.:eek:oooh:

7. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Nope, it is my brother-in-law Joe's boat. It's the main reason I don't like borrowing his boat to use. When I open up the throttle, feels like the boat is gonna tip. (just so happens it is bent to turn to the right, you know, the side that my more than ample frame sits on)

Not sure on what year/model yet. Joe's been putting off getting it fixed because it doesn't bother him. Well, since I pretty much have a yard ornament, I wanna see what it will take to fix his to where I will feel confident in taking it out. I'm DYING to get out and put out my jugs and do some driftin.

8. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    For Joe it doesn't make much of a difference, course, he weighs 185. For me on the other hand, I weigh 352. It is a old side conosole aluminium boat and wants to turn to the right. Hope to have pictures of the motor and the transom on here soon. Transom is gonna need to be replaced before too much longer.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Tony it doesn't mater what year it is I just didn't pay close enough attention to the header you did. You can adjust the trim tab to make the boat steer better but I haven't had a bent skag effect me enough to worry about it.

Can you post a picture of it to see how bad its bent. Some shops can straighten them if they aren't in to bad of a shape.

10. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Yeah, gonna try and get a picture of it this weekend.

11. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    I have a 30 Evinrude and hit a 2x4 and bent mine. I backed the boat up to a telephone pole to where the skeg was up next to it ( to keep from pullin the motor off) and took a brass hammer and tapped on it to get it back straight. It worked good you just have to be easy and careful and take your time.

12. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I weld on boats at three different dealers and here in my garage. I have replaced many skegs over the years. If you can weld and have the equipment ,any boat dealer can order you a new replacement skeg if they dont already have it in skock. I have always charged a flat 85 bucks for a full skeg replacement. and no it is not nessacery to remove the lower unit but it does make it easier. a good welder can weld it while on the motor without burning out your seals in the lower unit. You can apply heat and try to straighen yourself but use minumum heat for aluminum melts fast, But in most cases the skeg will end up with stress cracks in it and end up needing welded after all. I even weld up chips out of skegs due to the damage they cause by adding motor vibration.

13. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My mercury has an adjustble fin right above the prop. If the boat pulls left then this fin is to be moved to left. :big_smile:

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Best thing to do is hit a stump going the opposite way!!!!:eek:oooh: :tounge_out: :confused2: :big_smile: That will 1;Straighten it or 2;bend it to the left which will counteract the normal right hand torgue HAHAHAHA:big_smile: Sorry Tony couldn't help it.The Skeggaard does strengthen your Skeg but I don't think it would fit over a bent one.They are a good rememdy for a broken skeg however.You have been given the best advice by the BOCsters already.:big_smile:

15. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Ok, here are 3 pictures.

Attached Files:

16. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    thought I'd bring it back to the top since the pics have been added.

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Tony not to be a pessimist but is there anything on that lower unit that isnt bent ,chewed up or broken?:eek:oooh: First off either get the prop repaired or get a new one.Then have the drive shaft checked because the prop has obviously made many contacts with imovable objects.The missing pieces will/have set up bad vibrations that may have damaged seals or the shaft if something hasn't been broken at impact.Even the trim tab looks like a chunk is out of it.I can't believe that anyone would operate a motor in that bad a condition.You might check the lower unit oil also.The prop hub might be damaged also.Good luck but I would guess the skeg is going to turn out to be the easiest fix.:sad2:

18. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    To be honest

Last time we checked the lower unit oil, there was NO water in it, and no leaks. The prop is actually a borrowed prop that looked like that already.

We are going to look for a new prop for it, just not sure what to look for yet.

19. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I wouldn't venture out of sight of the boat ramp with a lower unit like that...:eek:oooh:

20. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Motor is a 84 Johnson 50 HP. Model j5984850