50 hp Evinrude Motor Surge???

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by JoshFisher, Nov 27, 2009.

1. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
    so the motor runs up good, then when you throtle it up to right after the boat planes the engine starts to act like its dying. Almost like your pumping a gas peddle..... thinking a fuel problem???

thanks, josh

2. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn

I hafd my 70 hp do that last year and it was the stator that was bad.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    If you were to look in the repair manual, you'd find most causes of that problem would be fuel related, but not always.

I've cured that issue from carb rebuild, to just changing the spark plugs.

4. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
    thx for the info... any more suggestions on this out there??

5. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    sounds like the carbs need rebuilt and the motor isn't getting enough fuel. I am no motor expert though, and had a similar problem with my old mercury, never did get the thing running correctly. Hope you get'er figured out and get back out on the water soon. :big_smile:

6. JoshFisher

JoshFisher New Member

State:
    Tinker AFB, Oklahoma
    ya thats just why im a little confused cause just had um redone last summer =/
    itl run fine accross the water at about 15mph anything more and this happens, the other morning i was out and it didnt have that problem so now im really confused but when i turned off about an hour later when to move and it started up again:cool2:

7. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    little bit of water in your gas will do that also. Mine acted up this last week , I switched tanks and it cleared up. Before you go spending a bunch of money change yer gas, put some stabil in it and go run it. Just my 2cents worth. also this time of year it might take a bit longer to warm up. Mine is a 87 50hp evinrude, very cold natured. might also bump up the octane a level.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  8. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    Im having the same prob with my 50hp... First off I gotta spray it with starter fluid to get it running then it runs fine, But now after it gets running my ball want stay pumped and it dies on me... Im thinking i need to redo my carbs... I did it this past summer must have did it wrong..I have the slightest clue... It would make a good winter project though

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Willie you had better quit useing that starter fluid or you won't have a motor to worry about. If your bulb won't stay pumped up then I recommend checking the fuel system from one end to the other.

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Josh yours could be something as simple as a hole in a fuel line or a hole in the pump diaphragm. Without being right there to look at it start looking for the problem. There is no one on here that can tell you exactly what is wrong with it. They can speculate and you have to diagnose it. Them may be we can instruct you how to fix it.

11. niteangler

niteangler New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Water in gas, got a hole in fuel line catching air, or maybe fuel pump starting to go. Im no mechanic just my 2 cents.