50 DEGREES

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Blacky, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Anyone start targeting them at 50 degrees or do you hold off until the 60 degree mark?

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We've started already after the Flatheads. We just couldn't help ourselves. The water temp on Barkley Lake right now is about 47 degrees.When they do start....we'll be ready for them.:crazy:

3. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Little funny for me since I'm down here in SC, where a lot of times is doesn't go too much below 50 during midwinter (maybe mid 40's). I fish them sometimes with cut bait in the winter, but in the spring I am usually waiting for the river to stabilize and the sunfish to start biting good (for baits, of course) so I generally end up starting after the flatheads around the end of March or beginning of April, which is probably closer to that 60 degree mark.

(Sorry - long answer to a short question...)

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Better start hitting them Barkely crappies!

5. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I`ll be starting April 1st that`s when the fish-off starts.

6. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i kinda half harted try to start around 50, yeah. give me a litle rain and ill be there!

7. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i think flathead move in the day in the early spring and 50deg. mark but thats my opinion
    i have caught flaties in the day in april and sometimes in march so i help this helps

8. Blake Waterworth

Blake Waterworth New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Everyone around were i fish likes that 50 degree mark!

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Blacky, I'm gonna wait till the 70 degree mark. By then my hot dogs will work.

10. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Ohhhhhh shut up already LOL.

11. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I'm talking about flatheads, not carp!

12. keyskevin

keyskevin New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Up here in Milwaukee it's just thawing out this week. The rivers are ice free to the edges, but the lakes still have some ice on the surface. Although I did see three boats inside the breakwater in Milwaukee.

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I will probably give them a shot at the 50 degree mark if the water is down enough not to be dangerous. The channels will be in full swing and the Flatties should still be in their wintering spots or very close by. Just a different bite, a very "lite" bite so to speak.

14. Hawk33

Hawk33 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    For us seem's like the magic temp is at 68 -F, atleast that is when we start catching the bigger flatheads...

I'd say 60-F and above !!!

When you start having those warm spring rain's, that's when the water temp takes a huge spike and you yell to your buddy fish on !!!

HAWK

15. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc:big_smile:

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    WARM SPRING RAIN, AND HIGH WATER= SPRING DAYTIME FLATHEAD ACTION!:wink: rollo

17. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Funny I was going to come in here and post this same question. I think most lakes in the part of TN I'm in are right about 50 right now and climbing. I think the rivers are about the same and we've been getting some good rains the last week so. If the rivers start swelling and the temps are over 50 will they be active?

18. Catfishn22

Catfishn22 New Member

State:
    WV
    I like the water to be at least 60 before I go. Prefereably over 65 but sometimes I just can't wait and go when the waters in the 50's, sometimes I catch some but they usually aren't very big ones.

Once the water warms above 65 hold on with both hands cause you can haul big flatheads then.

19. comanchero

comanchero New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    We are still iced in on my home water. Yesterday we still had about 20" of ice. I'll start after them as soon as ice off but I usually don't have much luck until we get a surface temp in the mid-60 range. After a long winter I just can't wait on temperature anymore - I'll start chasing flats just to get myself on the water. Who knows - maybe I'll get lucky and find a hungry one.

I'm hoping the ice is off around the 1st of April. The Mississippi is open in Minneaplolis and some of my cat brothers are catching channels over there. I may hook up the boat and head over their way if this ice holds on too much longer.

20. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    The way the weather is going Tan. I don't think we going to see 50 degree water temps for a bit longer.......Blows doesnt it.....:sad2: