5 Years later. Where are The Paddlefish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by PhillyCatcatcher4, Aug 1, 2008.

1. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Came across an article that was released 5 years ago about a paddlefish stocking in Western Pa.
    Just wondered if any Westsiders have hooked up with any.

Attached Files:

2. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    Gregory, i have heard of a few accidental catches of them on the Mon around where i fish. biggest i think was 17 inches. i saw a very small one one night when i had my fishing light in the water and it was just cruising around sucking up the plankton drawn in by the light. it stood out from the other bait fish and it was swimming in the opposite direction from the other fish. also saw some baby gar around the light the next night.

3. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Thanks. I find them to be a facinating fish. I just hoped they were able to thrive in our Pa. river systems. :wink:

4. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If I remember right. they're plankton eaters. Unless you're snagging, you wont catch one. Unless it's accidental.

5. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    they say they are plankton eaters but the folks that caught them say they hooked them in the mouth using nightcrawlers and two guys caught them on jigs while fishing for white bass and the jigs were in the mouth and not the bill.

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Asian carp are plankton eaters too, but you can catch them consistently at carlyle lake dam here in Illinois on small jigs. I guess once a fish gets big, everything is plankton.