5 Things You Don't do in the Off Season!

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jan 22, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I know alot of you enjoyed my previous threads on the 5 THINGS...lol..yes, sometimes informative, sometimes just straight B/S!!!! LOL...So, this one is for all of you that are home now, stuck until warm weather!! This one happened tonight so i will tell it,, so you all get an idea for the thread.... i charged my 10 million candle power light today,, trying to preserve the battery,,, for this year!! and of course had to try it out!!! :roll_eyes: end result, my neighbor across the street calling wondering why i was shining a light at his house that bright!!!:smile2: lol... so thats the first for the list... name your off season experiences to make the next four and i will rep you and list the best ones i think!!! rollo

1. Rollo blindin the 70yr. old neighbors trying to watch CNN!!!

2. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Don't check to see if your batteries are charged with a pair of pliers or a wrench like my dad used to do. I know there are alot of rednecks out there that do it that way!!! LOL

3. jg_gmc

jg_gmc New Member

State:
    west virginia
    ok, i bought a small starter pole for my daughter for x-mas. shes 5 so im trying to peak her interest....anyhow, i took the cheap tackle that came with the pole, tied on a small sinker and a paper clip and clipped money to the end of the line and casted it into the dining room and started reeling for my life. her mom flew into the hall way chasing the money. good times..good times.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Dont eat to much over the winter, or you will be to fat to fish!..I am almost there now!

5. skinner766

skinner766 New Member

State:
    Orrville Ohio
    no matter how tempting it is don't fish in your aquarium! LOL

6. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    well awhile back i was standing in my garage i just took a sack of trash out and seen my bass poles and sence i aint been fishin in 3 weeks i grabed it and was throwing the spinner bait out in the front yard well on one cast i went over a tree limb and backlashed it so i was pulling the back lash out and the dam neighbors dog ran over to the dangeling spinner bait and jumped up and sure enough hooked the dumb dog i had on 20 lb test and the limb was bouncing up and down with the dog yelping i was like o shit because i was in my underwear ya go figure hu so there i am 300 lb fat guy in his underwear trying to get this dog to sit still so i can unhook him thank god the nieghbor wasnt home but a few got a show im sure that drove by. after what seemed like forever prolly only a few minutes tho the dog was bleeding but was ok and my pole went back in the garage and took a hot shower.

7. rustyhook36

rustyhook36 New Member

State:
    ohio
    What's an off season? Don't do that myself!!! I am surprized that a guy with all the info in the world about catfishing takes an off season. I guess that only fishing during the warm water months is why you have the opinion that live bait is the best bait for flatheads, and not cut bait. During the warm water times it is true that live bait is what is best. When the water temps are low the flatheads are not in the chasing mood to feed. They would rather have an easy meal of dead bait.

8. catfeveriowa

catfeveriowa New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs Iowa
    Your WAY to funny Scotty :smile2:.

9. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    DONT USE UP ALL YOUR VACATION/SICK TIME!!:wink:

10. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I'm fortunate enough to live where I can fish year round. I had to at least stop in and laugh ; )

I gotta say... Scotty is gonna be hard to beat on this one, lol.

-Jim-

11. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yup GOOD ONE ...............................!

12. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i think i am going to have to geyt a bigger pfd!!!!

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    rusty, i don't take an off season,, however, when it is 9 degrees outside and floating ice on the river i am smart enough not to go! lol...and if you have read many of my posts you would have seen that i have never said cutbaits aren't a good option, actually i have posted many of times on how they are a better option than livebait in the winter months vertical jigging wintering holes.. must have missed a few threads, also...some more reasons why i think livebaits are better for flatheads besides all the studys done, and the fish i, and many around have caught on them, is if you threw nothing but cutbait around here trying to catch flats, you would break the world record for most channel cats caught in a year!!!:smile2::wink: rollo

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    scotty that would have been hilarious to see.. esp. if it was a bigger dog! he would have ran drag for blocks, probably would have spooled ya:tounge_out::big_smile: rollo

15. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I watch my flathead catfishing DVDs to kill the time.

16. Blue Bruiser

Blue Bruiser New Member

State:
    St Louis, Missouri
    Don't heat the swimming pool and stock it with catfish fry...... Your wife will be very upset....

17. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I typically "take off" the last part of November, December and January to do some deer, duck, quail, and pheasant hunting....throw in a few tree rats and bunnies as well.

This AM when I got off work it was 17 degrees...with a wind chill of -1.

I'm as hardcore as they come around here...and THAT is too flippin' cold to be on the water to me...lol.

I'd rather bust a few coveys or kick up a few roosters, and stay warm chasing the dogs when the temps are like that.

Besides...a guy would have to break out the axe to chop a hole in the ice.

Not saying I haven't done it...but I'm a tad bit more conservative than I once was 10 years ago...lol. :cool2:

As far as the cut bait being better during cold water periods...I'd have to say that I can't disagree with you totally.

I have caught plenty of flatheads on live and cut perch and shad just the same...in cold or warm water.

The key being that the warmer the water...the FRESHER the cut bait needs to be.

I have fished out a few black perch "pets" I keep in the kid's aqarium for reserve during the winter, and have caught flatheads on them in the past. (Ya...ya...I know...my bad...lol)

Another thing to remember is that the live baitfish that one uses during cold water has an extremely slow metabolism as well...and is therefore easier for a predator to run them down than when they are more active.

One thing I guarantee is that if a flathead has rousted, and is temporarily coming out of "hibernation" to feed...it has no qualms about chasing something down if it's hungry enough.

Especially so if the predator rousts during a 2 or 3 day unseasonable warming trend.

That seems to do the trick everytime.

18. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    What one mans aqarium is to him and his "pets".....might very well be called "bait" inside an aereated indoor bait tank in another mans version! :wink:

19. rustyhook36

rustyhook36 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Rollo you are right that I have not read all of your posts. That would take a looong time, lol. I was actually calling you on number 2 of your 5 things a flathead fisherman needs to know! Also I read in another post that you just started fishing with shad and that you have never caught a skipjack. Skipjacks are the best bait in the river. I fish catfish tourneys all over the country. I have fished all of the major river systems in the country for catfish. I have fished in the biggest catfish tourneys against all of the pro's out there. I would be safe to say that shad and skipjack are the most common baits used in all of the major tourneys. Probably more tourneys have been won on these two baits than any others. Granted that some of these are mainly bluecat tourneys but I fish a lot of flathead waters including the same river you are fishing. I boated at least a dozen flatheads over 35# with 5 over 42# this fall. All on cut skipjack. Now I am not saying that cut bait is always the best bait. For example. I have a couple of friends that I fish tourneys with. They insist on fishing cut bait only. The first tourney is in april and the last is in october. they won both the first and last tourneys, but missed winning the championship because the mid summer tourneys they did poorly on cutbait. The same thing the season before!!! So all That I am saying is that number two on that top five list is wrong! uuuh sometimes!! lol. Maybe sometime this spring we can get together and test this theory. But I am right with you in the warmer months with live bait. My favorite live bait is live shad.:wink:

20. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    be glad and meet and fish anytime rusty. my thread on 5 things a beginner flathead fishermen needs to know, was a basic post to tell someone that has no knowledge on flatheads at all. and wasn't directed towards this time of the year. the reason i didn't want to put cut bait in there, is i feel they would have a better chance catching a flathead in the good feeding months simply using livebait over cuts to eliminate dealing with all those pesky channels. thought maybe it would put them on their first flat quicker. anyways, it doesn't matter much. so if any of you are reading this, remember there are other options to catching flats including cutbaits, and if you are confused now blame rusty:smile2::wink: just kidding rusty, look forward to fishing with you, thanks for the post....rollo