2- Shines his light on the water constantly
3-Uses chicken liver as bait
4-Tells other people about his spots so they can fish them out
5-Does not fish near structure for fear of getting snagged

feel free to add more.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
I absolutely agree on every point. Gotta fish the snags! Lose a lot of rigs and fish, but the rewards can be great if the angler is lucky and somewhat skilled. :)
BB in SC

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Jack, Ole mellon ain't going to like you talking about him like this:wink::eek:oooh::smile2:.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have caught flathead in the heat of summer in the daytime. Not giants but keepers. I think that the worst thing you can do is not get out and fish when you can.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
1-Makes lots of noise

feel free to add more.
i see you know Bryan Mellon :smile2:

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
those are all valid points, however I think fishing during daytime, fishing in the heat of summer, and fishing in ponds/still water should be added to the list.
i catch lots of lats from the ohio river in th middle of the day as soon as the water starts arming up and i was still catching flatheads on thanksgiving morning this year so i wouldnt be one to agree with that..

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
1-Makes lots of noise

feel free to add more.
Check bait every 5 minutes lol.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
1.) Uses hot dogs
2.) Uses WD-40
3.) Uses baits and hooks that are too small
4.) Leaves the fish finder running all night in 6ft of water

·
Registered
6,351 Posts
another one that bothers me, bankfishing etc. when your clicker takes off, please don't run down that rocky bank to your pole. Especially, if you aren't fishing that far from it. That loud vibration carrys back to the water. Flatheads are aggressive feeders, and will most likely stay with the bait most of the time. you have plenty of time to get to the rod...no need to practice for the olympics! rollo

·
Registered
375 Posts
thats the truth rollo, i have taken my fair share of sprints and my share of falls, when a flat takes your bait he wants it, no rush, another thing to add would be if your river spot resembles a pay pond with lights every where you should probally do some scouting and find a new hole.. i also agree with not telling your spots, i had a spot that i told one guy when i was getting bait, i figured i wouldnt have to worry about it, this spot i pulled my best river flat to this date, next time i went to fish it with my friend we came around the bend to see a bonfire,a john boat, beer everywhere and a high twenties flat on a stringer that he was keeping for his "neighbors pond". it made me sick..and made me look like a fool, since i told my friend we were fishing a spot no one ever fishes. let that be a lesson to all.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
How about:
Stays home when his buddy backs out at the last minute
or
Stays home when weather or water conditions are marginal

or
Doesnt bother to try new areas and be willing to chalk up a skunking at the xpense of scouting

Salmonid

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Larry, I think you found out the first lesson on trust.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
How about .. Constantly moving around in the boat ... rocking it ... and sudden and jerky movements for no reason .... :crazy:

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Speaking of Mellon, how about, leaves hundreds of feet of line, ten lbs of sinkers and multiple live bluegills hanging from the trees of your favorite bank spot! :smile2::wink:

Salmonid

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have to admit, I do a few of those things on the list. It has to change.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts