5 May on the Potomac River

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by rit.05, May 5, 2007.

1. rit.05

rit.05 New Member

State:
    VA
    Well, we went anyway, even though it was raining and cooling off by the time my kid's soccer game was over. We didn't bother trying for shad since it was already afternoon and headed straight for our first spot. Spent the day getting soaked and reeling in a couple fish. Mostly caught them on perch in about 20-25 feet of water. One really nice channel on a rod soaking liver, my first channel on the Potomac. Saw a lot of fish rolling (I assume they were shad??) over by Ft Wash. A couple big ones launched themselves near the boat. The activity really picked up at the end of low tide. I think there were some stripers lingering around. All in all, I was glad to just get out with my brother who was in from out of town.

It was great to meet TShepherd at the marina. Drop me a pm if you still want to head out on Tues or Weds, I'm in.

2. speciallibXO

speciallibXO New Member

State:
    Maryland
    The weather changed quickly yesterday. Me and the kids were out pulling weeds in the flower beds in the morning. It was in the low 70s and sunny. Then I took my daughter to her soccer game and it got cold and wet.

I was wondering if anyone had braved the rain yesterday. Good to hear you had fun.

3. Anythinggoes

Anythinggoes New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Many times, the carp will roll and or launch themselves. It always seems like they always roll either behind you or you just catch them with the corner of your eye's site.

Mike

4. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    That has been alot of gar around the fort in the last week or two that maybe what you saw as well

5. rit.05

rit.05 New Member

State:
    VA
    Gar huh? I used to catch those things in Texas. I think you may be right now that I think about it. May be carp over in the more shallow water. Thanks for the replies. Looks like Tuesday will be my next day out thanks to Tony. Weather looks a lot better....

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    I will be out there tues as well Bell haven at 8 am is my goal look to see you guys out there as well.

7. aplumma

aplumma New Member

State:
    Virginia
    My brother and I made it out to bouy 56 for alittle catfishin. It was a semi slow day with no blues but 5 decent channel Cats between 5 and 10 lbs. We used cut makeral and chicken livers. Were are all of the Blues hiding I havent made the run to fort washington yet anyone got any spots down by the Occoquan?? See you all on the water I hope to be out Sat if I can get a few reports that look good.

Art

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    From what I have saw in the fish over the last two weeks I would say if they aren't on the beds they are ready to be. The spwan is here and we may not see many big blue until june.