5 hp Briggs & Stratton noise

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by jmaxson, Jun 10, 2006.

1. jmaxson

jmaxson New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have a 14 footer with a Briggs and Stratton. My question is, how can I quiet the exhaust noise. It's one of those air cooled jobs. I know that it's just a lawnmower motor with a prop, but I'd still like it to be quieter.

TIA

Jerry

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I don't think you can. I believe B&S ran test on the engine prior to marketing and I believe their thoughts were it would make the motor cost ineffective to imporve the exhaust system above what it is... too high = no sales. I think your a part of the profit margin. LOL

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you muffle it down to the point where it is quiet then it will start to over heat.

4. jmaxson

jmaxson New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the help and info.

Jerry

5. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Could you attach a hose to it and exhaust it under water?

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It would take more rigging than it is worth. Exhaust = heat, hose = rubber, hose + heat = melt. Just put up with the noise for now and keep telling yourself "Next time I'm gonna.....".

7. cjb10876

cjb10876 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Is the noise loud enough that you wouldn't recomend one? Any other problems with it? I also have a 14' aluminum and was thinking about getting a new B&S rather than a 20+ year old 5 to 10hp standard outboard that I don't know how well it was cared for. How does it do pushing around your boat?

8. jmaxson

jmaxson New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Pro's:
    4 Stroke= no mixing oil with gas.
    Minimal (but not None!) Maintenance!
    They work.
    Availability is suprising. I got mine at a local lawn-care shop (B&S Dealer).

Cons:
    They're Loud!! Just think, the muffler is 3 ft closer to your ears than a push mower's would be.
    Size: It take almost the same space as a Merc 9.9 4 stroke. I think the weight is about 57 lbs.

I hope this helps.

9. jmaxson

jmaxson New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Also:

Good gas economy.

Speed is about 7-10 mph depending on conditions. I have a 14' v-hull (that's real old). Even before I got this motor I wouldn't go out in really windy or choppy conditions.

So, about recommending one, it's all about your boating and fishing needs.

Jerry

10. cjb10876

cjb10876 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    I just worry about spending several hundred dollars on someone else's problems and not having any kind of warranty. I know very little about fixing outboard motors so something new with a warranty for about the same price as a used motor sounded like it could be a good idea. I'm just using a 36 lb electric now, so even a small gas motor would be a big plus. 7 to 10 mph would feel like i was flying!