5 Hour Tappan Fishing

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Bear2123, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Bear2123

Bear2123 New Member

State:
    Uhrichsville, OH
    6-28-09 - Got 4 channels and 1 flathead. All about 3-4lbs. Not a great day, and not really worth mentioning, but figured i'd post a report. Had a ton of huge hits, but they were running right back into their lily pads. Resulted in alot of broken hooks/lines. Couldn't believe how fast they was hitting in that spot last night.

All in all not a bad night, g/f and her parents did alright, guess thats all that matters.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Matt thanks for sharing your fishing trip. Fishing in the pads is one of my favorite ways to fish for channels when it gets hots. Go up in the pads after them. I like to use longer rods and corks. When You hook a fish, raise the rod high and hold it for a while. The fish will flounce around and cut open a path to bring them in. I like to use a dough bait called B's bait on treble hooks. You can use push poles to get the boat back into the pads. This type of fishing will surprise you. The key is the longer rods.

3. Bear2123

Bear2123 New Member

State:
    Uhrichsville, OH
    Thanks for the tip. The only bad part about my story is, i was standing on top of my pole and the line just took off like a bat straight out of hell. I grabbed it and well i was just to late. Vacation starts wednesday for me so anyone going around Tappan can assume i'll be out near Deersville bridge.

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Matt glad to see you here at the BOC first off. Any night fishing is better then a night sitting home looking at the walls :) Like was mentioned sometimes raising the rod high can help stir away from break offs in the lilly pad.

5. Bear2123

Bear2123 New Member

State:
    Uhrichsville, OH

Thanks for the welcome here.

I'll give the raise a try and see what i can get from it.

6. skunkedagain

skunkedagain New Member

State:
    OHIO
    sounds like a good time to me.Just getting alot of breakoffs means you were in the right spot.Better luck next time

7. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    Thanks for the report.